Old, beat up guitars.

Virgman

• Members

I kind of like buying a used guitar with dents and dings and just play it as is (after setting up, etc).

Today this old dinged up guitar I set against the couch fell onto the floor.

It didn't bother me at all.

It's like driving a dented car. What's one more ding?

• Members

I agree.. Buying a guitar in a played state is cool, especially if you can get a deal on a good guitar. Where it becomes ridiculous and pretentious is when you pay someone extra money to put all that wear on there artificially for you.

EDIT: I can't spell apparently..

• Members

I kind of like buying a used guitar with dents and dings and just play it as is (after setting up, etc).

Play it! Play that damn guitar! Play it like it's the last dented car you'll ever drive! What are you gonna' do??? Stand around polishin' that thing or are you gonna' get right on up on that stage and play the hell out of it! What are you waitin' for? An invitation??? Ain't nobody gonna' do it for you!

• Members

I don't have any guitars that don't have dings or scratches. And it's not a matter of being careless or just throwing them about, but {censored} happens and I'm a bit accident prone. I've dropped them, dropped stuff on them, slammed into stuff with them, etc, all while playing.

Hell, I put together a parts guitar, and it's almost flawless except the 1" long dent that was on the body when I got it. Just meant that I didn't have to put the first dent on it.

• Members

I don't want to buy a beat up guitar...I want it 100% flawless, and I play it and put it in that "played" state.

It's like buying a Jeep that's already lifted and beat... where's the fun then?

If it already has dents and dings you don't have to worry about it.

• Members

Preach it, brother...

• Members

My motto is "Every guitar is a beach guitar". I do take care with my guitars, don't let the drunks play them and so on, but it is inevitable that dings do happen. So I have taken guitars like my Guild Starfire IV down to the beach. (I play at the beach here in Thailand every day when at Condo in Jomtien). The climate here just eats guitars anyway......

• Members

Some of my guitars I'd like to keep nice, but if they happen to get a dent or a chip, it doesn't break my heart. One of my favorite guitars is a '71 Epiphone ET270, all kinds of chips in the finish, and I would rather it look old and worn than sad and unplayed.

• Members

That's good stuff, man.

• Members

I've ended up with a ding or scratch or something pretty much straight away on the new cars I've had.

And it's always been other people when I'm parked and away from the car...:mad:

I've had my current car anout 6 months...someone bashed the mirror on the first day I had it and took a nice lump of paint off.

Such is life....

:thu:

• Members

I agree.. Buying a guitar in a played state is cool, especially if you can get a deal on a good guitar. Where it becomes ridiculous and pretentious is when you pay someone extra money to put all that wear on there artificially for you.

EDIT: I can't spell apparently..

Yes, you can ... up to a point, anyway.

Everything in the above post is spelled absolutely correctly.

• Members

i guess it depends on the guitar i will treat my bolt ons in a much more mean manner then my set neck les pauls.. i les paul with those snap happy headstocks... ick.. cant lean them in a corner cant even lay them on the ground.. if they did not sound and play so well... they would be no uses at all..

silly set neck... :rolleyes:

• Members

Yes, you can ... up to a point, anyway.

Everything in the above post is spelled absolutely correctly.

Well, it is NOW, after the edit where I fixed the spelling error. Wasn't a spelling error really I spose.. I typed one thing, then changed it, thus rendering my choice of either "a" or "an" incorrect for the given situation. :thu:

btw, someday I want to send you some of the things I've written and get a professional opinion of them. It's mostly fiction (short stories I've abandoned because I'm a piss-poor outline follower, poems, etc...) and some essays about boring topics I chose for an English comp class last year.. You open to criticizing me? Surely that'd be a fun thing to do.. :poke:

• Members

btw, someday I want to send you some of the things I've written and get a professional opinion of them. It's mostly fiction (short stories I've abandoned because I'm a piss-poor outline follower, poems, etc...) and some essays about boring topics I chose for an English comp class last year.. You open to criticizing me? Surely that'd be a fun thing to do.. :poke:

Ahhhh ... if only you lived in London ... I'm about to start teaching a writing course!

http://charlesshaarmurray.com/hothouse/

PM me.

Archived