Any Negitives To Using Wall Hangers

Ratbatblues

• Members

They are more exposed to light, dust, temp/humidity changes.

Light will eventually damage a finish, but if it's not in direct sunlight you are ok.

Dust. Play the things and you'll be ok there. ;)

Temp/Humidity changes - You may need to tweak your setups a bit more if the weather in your house changes a lot. Humidifiers/Dehumidifiers can help if that turns out to be an issue.

• Members

Years ago I had a Gibson ES165 that had a serious flaw hidden under the finish of the back of the neck. I kept it on a wall hanger and just the weight of the body pulling on the peghead caused the flaw to open up as a gaping crack. It was never able to be fixed properly. I'd get into Gibson's response but it's way too long and painful.

• Members

Depends on the guitar. I'd have no problem at hanging Fenders on a wall. But I'd hesitate to do it with something expensive and delicate like a Les Paul. Then again, almost all music stores hang their guitars for display, and often they'll be there for years. They wouldn't do it if it damaged their own unsold merchandise.

• Members

I've had all of my expensive guitars hanging on my walls for 10+ years now--Custom Shop Les Pauls, CS Strats, Ricks, PRS's, SG's, 335 and 339--no issues whatsoever and we live in a non-humidified home where the relative humidity is usually below 20%.

Fading and yellowing will occur even if there is no direct sunlight, but that adds to the mojo IMO.

• Members

I've had all of my expensive guitars hanging on my walls for 10+ years now--Custom Shop Les Pauls, CS Strats, Ricks, PRS's, SG's, 335 and 339--no issues whatsoever and we live in a non-humidified home where the relative humidity is usually below 20%.

Fading and yellowing will occur even if there is no direct sunlight, but that adds to the mojo IMO.

If you lived in So. California, I would be asking, "Hey, wasn't I just over at your house Monday?" Serioiusly, over 50 guitars hanging on the walls and and he only has two Fender strats. The rest are what you mentioned with the bulk of them Gibson LP's.

Surfy

• Members

If you lived in So. California, I would be asking, "Hey, wasn't I just over at your house Monday?" Serioiusly, over 50 guitars hanging on the walls and and he only has two Fender strats. The rest are what you mentioned with the bulk of them Gibson LP's.

Surfy

I'm still leery about it because of those little earthquakes we have around here. But the GC near me has at least 100 on their racks, so there you are.

• Members

Thinking of using some String Swing Guitar Wall hangers. Is there any negitive effects on a guitar from letting them hang there all the time?

You mean, aside from the aesthetic considerations?

Lots of guitars hanging on the wall is just :facepalm: to me, but then I never really cared for the Hard Rock Cafe school of decor.

• Members

I have this irrational fear of hanging my guitars.

I have one of those Hercules stands and I'll only leave my guitar on it for a few minutes.

I'm just afraid the weight of the body pulling on the neck cant be good for the neck joint.

But I'm sure this is completely unfounded cause people do it all the time with no problems.

Still......... I won't do it.

• Members

I keep mine on the wall at all times for years now... In the past I kept my guitars in the cases and I had big issues with humidity. Now I control my room with Humidifiers/Dehumidifiers and I have no problem at all. With my guitars on the wall, I tend to rotate my guitars more often... before I was to lazy and I was playing only one guitar for months.

:facepalm:

corner.jpg

• Members

I'm just afraid the weight of the body pulling on the neck cant be good for the neck joint.

I suspect the 100 or so lbs of tension on the neck might be more significant

I've got 4/5 on the wall here and I live in earthquake country too. For little earthquakes there is no problem really...for big ones..well there are probably bigger concerns than if my guitars swing around a bit. I've got string swings and they are pretty solid, mounted into studs they aren't going anywhere unless the wall does.

For me it was a great way to free up a bunch of room in a small space

• Members

I wouldn't dream of doing it here in Minnesota with the harsh dry winter, sharp fret ends would occur in short order. Unless you are planning on controlling the room's humidity, avoid.

By the way, yes guitar center does it with their guitars, but since when are we doing anything because guitar center does it?!?! Aren't they pretty recognized as the biggest guitar morons on the planet?

• Members

I just got a few wall hangers for my guitars...I absolutely love them. I just need to put all of them on the wall now. And nawh, other than what everyone else already mentioned, its really not a problem. Just don't have a few to many beers and accidently knock em off, or not hang them correctly! That would suck!

...Plus I think it just looks killer as well.

• Members

I wouldn't dream of doing it here in Minnesota with the harsh dry winter, sharp fret ends would occur in short order. Unless you are planning on controlling the room's humidity, avoid.

By the way, yes guitar center does it with their guitars, but since when are we doing anything because guitar center does it?!?! Aren't they pretty recognized as the biggest guitar morons on the planet?

The point is that virtually all guitar stores display them in this way, and they have since at least the 60s. Manufacturers know how their products are displayed and sold. If the practice caused problems, neither the stores nor the guitar companies would allow it, because nobody profits from a wall full of damaged unsold merchandise.

• Members

I won't ever do it. Even if the impact is minimal, it's still there - my guitars will always live in their cases. I don't play any of them less because of it - they're all always in their cases, so it's not like it affects their rotation.

Granted, I may be a bit paranoid, but I'd rather play it safe.

Archived