GC King of Blues Winner - Randy Scott

orbm1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My friend Kirby Kelley won last year. He got to play at the Crossroads fest in Chicago.

Oh I think he sounds damn good! Sounds bluesy to me, just because he isn`t a SRV clone.. Sounds more like T-bone/Gatemouth Brown/Jump Blues to me, but very good! If you don`t think he deserved it you can always win it next year!

• Members

I heard a lot of technique, but I didn't hear any pain.

That about sums it up for me. Contrary to a previous post, I'm, personally, not looking for an SRV clone--or a clone anything. I want to hear something original in regard to, for example, how a lick is played--and I want some emotion, some pain.

• Members

My friend Kirby Kelley won last year. He got to play at the Crossroads fest in Chicago.

Oh I think he sounds damn good! Sounds bluesy to me, just because he isn`t a SRV clone.. Sounds more like T-bone/Gatemouth Brown/Jump Blues to me, but very good! If you don`t think he deserved it you can always win it next year!

like I said in my op, I think he is VERY good! but like it has been said already, no pain... and blues is about that "pain"

and I saw a local guy that played like that, very jazzy, and he did not make it to the district finals...

I can't play that good, but I would have expected more blues than jazz of the winner.... imho.

Omar :thu:

• Members

That about sums it up for me. Contrary to a previous post, I'm, personally, not looking for an SRV clone--or a clone anything. I want to hear something original in regard to, for example, how a lick is played--and I want some emotion, some pain.

Well, this tune is pretty up beat, how would you put pain on this?

• Members

Well, this tune is pretty up beat, how would you put pain on this?

[YOUTUBE]NU0MF8pwktg[/YOUTUBE]

Although I am not looking for him to be a SRV clone, the "pain" SRV reflects in his playing is what I am talking about, even in upbeat songs... (solo starts at 2:15)

again, imho.

• Members

Oh I think he sounds damn good! Sounds bluesy to me, just because he isn`t a SRV clone.. Sounds more like T-bone/Gatemouth Brown/Jump Blues to me, but very good!
If you don`t think he deserved it you can always win it next year!

So, to have an valid opinion on a performance you MUST be able to do it better yourself?:facepalm:

That's gonna slow things down around here:)

Your idea has been discussed here many times and revealed to be ridiculous and kinda RUDE.

Draw parallels with anything from high tech products to professions and see it doesn't fly.

• Members

Well, I give Randy Scott kudos for winning. He had the balls enough to put himself out there with all the ridicule and praise and end up winning KOFTB.

I also, remember when SRV first appeared on the scene he was ridiculed for such a Jimi Hendrix clone, in fact he was booed at the montreux jazz festival in the early 80s. So, I guess it comes with the package on the road to fame I guess.

• Members

Kirby is the man, used to go see him every week at The hole in the Wall in Dallas off Harry Hines. Hell of a nice guy too.

• Members

Well, I give Randy Scott kudos for winning. He had the balls enough to put himself out there with all the ridicule and praise and end up winning KOFTB.

I also, remember when SRV first appeared on the scene he was ridiculed for such a Jimi Hendrix clone, in fact he was booed at the montreux jazz festival in the early 80s. So, I guess it comes with the package on the road to fame I guess.

Me too!!

Happy he won!!

I participated this year, but nervousness got the best of me and I did not pass to the next round... maybe I try again next year...

I am, by all means, not demeaning his performance or victory, I just think that there were great contestants that got lost in the process, that may have had the same "or better" blues/jazz feel....

I think if the same judges could judge ALL participants, the final outcome would be MUCH different!

:wave:

• Members

So, to have an valid opinion on a performance you MUST be able to do it better yourself?
:facepalm:

That's gonna slow things down around here:)

Your idea has been discussed here many times and revealed to be ridiculous and kinda RUDE.

Draw parallels with anything from high tech products to professions and see it doesn't fly.

I heard the same noise when Kirby won last year. I`ve played in tons of contests, won some lost some, but EVERY time there is the peanut gallery that proclaims the winner didn`t deserve it.. Obviously the judges thought he deserved it..

Yeah I`ve been called rude before so what? Bet you`ve been called a few things in your time too!

• Members

Ah so your fellow hcr's are the peanut gallery! Not worthy of opinion.

I see.

Geez.. :poke:

No... Contests for music are kind of silly, and there will always be someone who thinks you didn`t win.. Sort of like having a mediation contest, or a yoga contest.. It`s why I dropped out of the whole contest thing..

Archived