Saddles, bent steel vs. solid, any difference?

jds22

• Members

I used to always be about the bent steel saddles. Had a lot of strats and almost was always was happy with how they sounded.

Several years ago, I bought a JV Series Japanese Squier strat. 70s style, big headstock, bullet trussrod adjustment, nice steel block saddles. Probably my second favorite guitar I've ever owned. Thought I'd spruce it up a bit... installed different pickups, pots and switch, mini toggle (going for the Gilmour vibe, cause I'm a fanboy ;) ), different pickguard, shielded it. Played it like that for a couple years.

Then I bought a partscaster that had a Callaham trem with the short Gilmour arm. I installed the entire unit and LOVED how it felt, but felt the tone took a step back. I thought about putting the original trem back on thinking it was something about the block. They were both steel and attracted a magnet. We took a vacation and I stopped at a shop in Florida and after complaining about the situation, an old timer asked if I had gone from block saddles to bent saddles and like a light switch, I realized that was almost definitely the thing.

Got home, put the block saddles back on... and I was happy once again.

So overall I don't know if one type is 'better' than the other, assuming both are quality pieces... but I know on that particular guitar the saddles almost ruined the tone for me.

But out of 12 or so strats, I think I have block types on two, Graphtechs on two and folded saddles on the rest and I really like how all of them sound, but for the bigger, ballsy, fatter tones, I'd go for the block types.

And since, 'pics or it didn't happen':

Block type:

DSC_4241a1.jpg

Bent saddles:

DSC_0364a1.jpg

• Members

Completely optional. The rest of the bridge and its material, the block will have affect on the string tone, so will the nut and neck which provides the other 50% of the tone to the string. The strings has two ends and they equally affect the tone.

• Members

Block saddles have always sounded brighter, snappier and more aggressive to my ear. Bent saddles, on the contrary, are sweeter and more mellow.

That's exactly the opposite of my experience. :confused:

Well... kinda. I'd call the block saddles more rounded, fuller and more ballsy and aggressive. The bent saddles snappier and brighter and twangier.

• Members

From what I've heard (playability-wise) is that it is easier/more comfortable to play palm muted stuff with block saddles...

A lot of folks say that because the saddle height adjustment screws stick out of the saddle and dig into the heel of their palms. Truth is though, if the neck angle is correct, the screws don't stick out at all, so they're just as comfy.

• Members

That's exactly the opposite of my experience.
:confused:

Well... kinda. I'd call the block saddles more rounded, fuller and more ballsy and aggressive. The bent saddles snappier and brighter and twangier.

I think it's an issue of semantics, which I always manage to run into when quantifying sound with text. In my experience, block saddles mean more mass, which means less vibration transfer from the strings, which generally means more overall volume, sustain and 'presence.' For me, they breathe life (and add a little beef) into a Strat.

• Members

From what I've heard (playability-wise) is that it is easier/more comfortable to play palm muted stuff with block saddles...

this for me. I have three strats set up with graph tech string saver block saddles. I have one strat with a wilkinson vintage trem that has unique saddles. Overall, I prefer the feel of the graph techs.

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4146-1.jpg

SurfMonsterPrototype.jpg

better view of the Wilkinson on the black strat:

VSVGN.jpg

• Members

this thread reeks of elitism. How can you honestly claim that changing saddles changes the sound significantly?

Some of the words you guys have used

Block Saddles:

rounder

fuller

ballsy

aggressive

brighter

snappier

more midrange

growly

Seriously? What does rounder mean? ballsy? aggressive? growly? These don't mean anything!

Bent Saddles:

Snappier

Brighter

Twangier

sweeter

mellow

twangy

jangly

steely

sound more open

Brighter and snappier were used to describe block saddles as well. In fact a lot of these words were used to describe both types of saddles! What does steely mean? What does it mean if something sounds open?

I think a lot of you guys are getting lost in the variables of the guitar. My guess is a lot of bent saddle guitars are vintage style strats with vintage voiced pickups and we think of the music played with old strats, and a lot of block saddle strats have modern voiced pickups so we think of the music played with modern strats.

Either way, {censored} guys, read what you're saying :facepalm:

• Members

That solid steel looks like cheap pot metal that will eventually wear out and bind resulting in broken strings

FYI, I have had a Route 101 Solimar Custom since 2000. This guitar has an el-cheapo bridge with solid saddles, and last time I replaced the strings I didn't see any discernible wear... :poke:

• Members

this thread reeks of elitism. How can you honestly claim that changing saddles changes the sound significantly?

Some of the words you guys have used

Block Saddles:

rounder

fuller

ballsy

aggressive

brighter

snappier

more midrange

growly

Seriously? What does rounder mean? ballsy? aggressive? growly? These don't mean anything!

Bent Saddles:

Snappier

Brighter

Twangier

sweeter

mellow

twangy

jangly

steely

sound more open

Brighter and snappier were used to describe block saddles as well. In fact a lot of these words were used to describe both types of saddles! What does steely mean? What does it mean if something sounds open?

I think a lot of you guys are getting lost in the variables of the guitar. My guess is a lot of bent saddle guitars are vintage style strats with vintage voiced pickups and we think of the music played with old strats, and a lot of block saddle strats have modern voiced pickups so we think of the music played with modern strats.

Either way, {censored} guys, read what you're saying
:facepalm:

I agree completely, but getting lost in the variables is basically why this forum is here.

Archived