Boost pedal users...

steve_man

• Members

It will add dirt that way, and you won't get the most volume out of it. At lower amp volumes you'll notice more volume, but you'll loose that at higher volumes. Not wrong, just depends on what you want. I personally run my boost in the loop (if available) or after dirt, but I use it for solos.

• Members

It will add dirt that way, and you won't get the most volume out of it. At lower amp volumes you'll notice more volume, but you'll loose that at higher volumes. Not wrong, just depends on what you want. I personally run my boost in the loop (if available) or after dirt, but I use it for solos.

That's pretty much right. If you have it in front of the OD, it will make things a bit more overdrive and thicker, but it won't make it much louder.

I keep mine all the way out front, before the wah (I find it interacts more cleanly with the wah that way - not sure why - could be some idiosyncratic things with those particular pedals). Generally I use either my boost or my OD, not both.

• Members

My clean boost (RC Booster) is now placed after my dirt boxes and before the vibe, reverb and delay. Originally, I had it in front of the dirt boxes.

Out front, it acted like a boost when the dirt pedals were off and like an OD when the dirt pedals were on. Personally, I like it better now, after the dirt boxes, because I can always use it as a volume boost or to overdrive the amp....instead of overdriving the pedals. I find it more versatile this way. I even use it to help simulate a cranked amp when practicing at low volume.

There is no right or wrong with pedal placement. Basically, whatever works for you personally is correct. :thu:

• Members

I run my boost last in the chain. If I crank my amp I've noticed the boost will overdrive the tube amp as well as give it a volume bump. Try it in different spots and see. I wanted the pedal to boost my volume for solos or when the bands volume creep was overtaking me.

• Members

Spot on - and I like to have it befor dirt exactly because it becomes a gain bost as much as a volume one for solos. I like that better than having the same sound only louder as it would be after the gain. Experiment with it and hear what works for you.

• Members

I've found that boost pedals seem pretty useless to me unless they are running through the fx loop, probably because of the amount of gain I use.

If I turn up to a gig, and the house amp doesn't have a loop, I dont bother with the boost pedal...I just set up with my rhythm level at about 4 on the guitar, and whack it up for solos.

I dont use a boost for tone shaping though, which I think it would be pretty good at,I use it purely as a solo booster.

:thu:

• Members

Yup. In a band situation this is a must-have.

• Members

My chain goes guitar>phaser>delady>boost>overdrive>tuner>amp

I like the boost where it is.

Tekk ya what, why not put your tuner last? This way if all your stuff is on, you can mute it and not get the sound of boosted, overdriven, classicaly distorted silence in on stomp. Also, I usually click my boost on when I tune, clearer signal.

Archived