GFS Brighton Rock pickups...anyone have?

• Members

A friend of mine just ordered up a set of those 'Brighton Rocks' pickups that I'll probably be installing them for him. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing them.

On a related note, I dropped in a set of the Surf 90's in his Strat yesterday... I dig 'em :thu:

yhst-50206111187217_2104_18786232

Just for kicks, I compared them to the DeArmond's in my '64 Silvertone:

1402253686_edfcb89ca5_o.jpg

the GFS pickups have a very similar vibe as the DeArmond's, but sound fuller & have more bottom end... kind of a 'sparkly' P90 sound.

• Members

I feel terrible because I don't remember his login, but one of our forumites who lives just down I-95 from me in Stafford built a guitar using Brighton Rocks and says they're delightful.

that would be Kyle - forum member Guitarzan1143. I haven't seen much of him since the changeover though...:(

• Members

I was curious about these as I just ordered a couple of the GFS Brian May wiring kits. There doesn't seem to be anything too unique about their construction or the materials used in it. I grabbed one of those Rose Pickups Handwound Hermosa prototype sets that Ken Rose sold here a while back for and put them into a typical strat setup and they sound great. There are some similarities between the Rose pickups and the Brightons. Both are Alnico V, have the same spec output for all three ~7k for the Hermosa protos vs. 6.5k for the "vintage correct" Brighton set, have a non RW/RP middle, and use 42 gauge wire. I'm going to put the Hermosas into the BM setup and see how they sound.

• Members

funny thing about queen tones is they never strike me as being very "single coily" but I suppose they technically are.

That's because he's using the bridge and middle in series about 95% of the time. :thu:

I love the Trisonics and if they are anything close to them I'd say go for it. To my ears it's a cross between a regular single coil and a P90.

IMG_1011.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Members

A friend of mine just ordered up a set of those 'Brighton Rocks' pickups that I'll probably be installing them for him. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing them.

Please post a full report when you've installed them - I love the idea of trisonics in a strat without having to rout

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Please post a full report when you've installed them - I love the idea of trisonics in a strat without having to rout

Oops.... just realized that I never responded to this thread after installing those pickups :facepalm:

Well, I put them in my friends Strat and they sound.... like single-coils. Perhaps a tad beefier, though :idk: I wired it up with the 'Brian May' switching (on/off & phase switch for each pup) and it yields some interesting sounds, some awesome and some :freak:

I actually have the guitar back in my possession at the moment b/c he was complaining about some strange hum when he flips any of the phase switches and then touches them (I forgot to ground their casings :facepalm: ). I will be working on it again this weekend & might be able to put together a few clips for you guys.

• Members

I have them installed in my Duo Sonic but I haven't spent a lot of time with the guitar since installing them since I broke the nut.:facepalm: So I can't give a very accurate description of the sound. From what I remember they are very hot and have a very beefy single coil tone. They do capture the queen sound well. I've really got to get a new nut put on that guitar....

Archived