Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

GFS Brighton Rock pickups...anyone have?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFS Brighton Rock pickups...anyone have?

I've seen nothing on these. Can't find youtubes or anything. Who's tried em?

http://store.guitarfetish.com/brrovisppicl.html

1 Jay Turser JTLT standard
    1 Vox AD30VT
    1 Alvarez Koa Acoustic
    No job, 3 kids, a wife, and a mountain of debt.

I feel terrible because I don't remember his login, but one of our forumites who lives just down I-95 from me in Stafford built a guitar using Brighton Rocks and says they're delightful.
    Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

Comment

funny thing about queen tones is they never strike me as being very "single coily" but I suppose they technically are.
      -
      Spam:
      FS: none
      I'm a GOLD TRADER
      Good deals: rusholmeruffian, rrancani, JohnnyRaincheck, mhn433, super56k, wagdog, cratz2, rxkid75, teletaylor
      Shamelessness: I do illustration & graphic design by commission, check my blogfolio: -- Matt White's Art --

Comment

A friend of mine just ordered up a set of those 'Brighton Rocks' pickups that I'll probably be installing them for him. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing them.

On a related note, I dropped in a set of the Surf 90's in his Strat yesterday... I dig 'em

Just for kicks, I compared them to the DeArmond's in my '64 Silvertone:

the GFS pickups have a very similar vibe as the DeArmond's, but sound fuller & have more bottom end... kind of a 'sparkly' P90 sound.

Comment

I have Surf 90s in a Xaviere XV-650 and they sound wonderful. I really want to try them with flatwounds.
          Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

Comment

I feel terrible because I don't remember his login, but one of our forumites who lives just down I-95 from me in Stafford built a guitar using Brighton Rocks and says they're delightful.

that would be Kyle - forum member Guitarzan1143. I haven't seen much of him since the changeover though...
            SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

I plan on putting a surf 90 (or maybe mean 90 or tele lipstick) into my toronado's neck. And a classic II in the bridge
              spam:
              none at the moment

I am on the good traders list
              great deals with InertiacSKS, Misle, OldCrankyDouche, DigiTechRep, and more that I forgot about

If you don't like what I like, I don't like you. fight me.

Comment

I was curious about these as I just ordered a couple of the GFS Brian May wiring kits. There doesn't seem to be anything too unique about their construction or the materials used in it. I grabbed one of those Rose Pickups Handwound Hermosa prototype sets that Ken Rose sold here a while back for and put them into a typical strat setup and they sound great. There are some similarities between the Rose pickups and the Brightons. Both are Alnico V, have the same spec output for all three ~7k for the Hermosa protos vs. 6.5k for the "vintage correct" Brighton set, have a non RW/RP middle, and use 42 gauge wire. I'm going to put the Hermosas into the BM setup and see how they sound.
                Member of the SG Army

Great deals here with: adversor x2, ashasha, Bigmark Bro Blue, Carbohydrates, chad-ro, dimebonics6604, dixie789456, duderanimous, EMGSTRAT, fulcrumpoint, Harlow, Heady Dude, Herald of Light, jelloman, Jim Cobb, jmiller475, JustOneMore, kjrocks, Magpel, Mark Cearlock x2, Marshmellow, Mike Fiasco, PBomber22, ptheimer, Punk Kitty, rfd (many great deals), rock-lobster, The Rossness, Slimster22, strangegrey x3, SurfDude, teleblaster, teletaylor, Tom Geroy and wannabweiland

Comment

It looks like a fatbody tele neck pickup with a strat-sized surround.
                  1 Jay Turser JTLT standard
                  1 Vox AD30VT
                  1 Alvarez Koa Acoustic
                  No job, 3 kids, a wife, and a mountain of debt.

Comment

funny thing about queen tones is they never strike me as being very "single coily" but I suppose they technically are.

That's because he's using the bridge and middle in series about 95% of the time.

I love the Trisonics and if they are anything close to them I'd say go for it. To my ears it's a cross between a regular single coil and a P90.

AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

Comment

Bump for moar info.

Comment

A friend of mine just ordered up a set of those 'Brighton Rocks' pickups that I'll probably be installing them for him. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing them.

Please post a full report when you've installed them - I love the idea of trisonics in a strat without having to rout

Comment

Bump
                          My very psychedelic music:
                          Full Moon in the Haze
                          «Pequeña MelodÃ****a para Luisa 1»
                          «Vals Prescindible»
                          «Vals Imprescindible»
                          «Vanessa Cardui»
                          «Suave Luna Azul»
                          Free-Chat.biz The best website to chat freely with people around the world!
                          «...y conoceréis la verdad, y la verdad os hará libres...»

Comment

There also a guy who has them installed to the neck and middle of a Tele type guitar
                            Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Please post a full report when you've installed them - I love the idea of trisonics in a strat without having to rout

Oops.... just realized that I never responded to this thread after installing those pickups

Well, I put them in my friends Strat and they sound.... like single-coils. Perhaps a tad beefier, though I wired it up with the 'Brian May' switching (on/off & phase switch for each pup) and it yields some interesting sounds, some awesome and some

I actually have the guitar back in my possession at the moment b/c he was complaining about some strange hum when he flips any of the phase switches and then touches them (I forgot to ground their casings ). I will be working on it again this weekend & might be able to put together a few clips for you guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X