Locking tuners for Les Paul

joelbah

• Members

I would like to upgrade my LP classic with some locking tuners. I put some on locking grovers on my SG and I love them, but I had to drill new holes in the back of the headstock for the screws and also plug the old holes with toothpicks and wood glue.

Is there a nice set of locking tuners that will line up with the holes in 2007 LP classic so I don't have to do any drilling?

Thanks, help would be very appreciated.

Joel

• Members

And have the nut worked on. Chances are that will solve your tuning problems.

I don't have tuning problems. My nut is fine. I just love the convenience and quickness, but thanks for the patronizing assumption. Do you work at Guitar Center? just kidding man.

And even though it stays in tune fine, the grovers on my SG just FEEL smoother and more stable than the gibson tuners.

Tone Pros huh? I'll check that out.

• Members

I don't have tuning problems. My nut is fine. I just love the convenience and quickness, but thanks for the patronizing assumption. Do you work at Guitar Center? just kidding man.

And even though it stays in tune fine, the grovers on my SG just FEEL smoother and more stable than the gibson tuners.

How are locking tuners more convenient? I had one guitar with Sperzel lockers on there and I found no added convenience in them. If it takes you longer to string up a guitar with standard tuners, you're doing it wrong.

• Members

How are locking tuners more convenient? I had one guitar with Sperzel lockers on there and I found no added convenience in them. If it takes you longer to string up a guitar with standard tuners, you're doing it wrong.

Nah man, all you gotta do is pull the string though the peg and start twisting till it locks in, then clip the string. You don't have to worry about measuring or the string slipping while you are tightening it.

• Members

Pardon the {censored} out of me. 99.9% of the time you see "What kind of locking tuners should I get" it's because somebody is having tuning problems.

My vote is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Members

Pardon the {censored} out of me. 99.9% of the time you see "What kind of locking tuners should I get" it's because somebody is having tuning problems.

My vote is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

no man, I understand. I appreciate your input. I wasn't actually offended.

• Members

If they guy likes locking tuners, let him put locking tuners on. They are faster to restring when made right and they'll have a better gear ratio than the Schaller-made stock 12:1 tuners anyway.

To the OP, there are two choices...

The TonePro/Kluson TPKB3L fit but won't look conventional...

TPKB3L_F_big.jpg

And the more conventional Gotoh 0735-001, these require a screwdriver or something bladed to release the string lock

313404587_916a299042.jpg?v=0

Both offer 15:1 gear ratio.

Shop around for the best price on either.

• Members

Pull, clip, tune. No windings should mean less time.

On removal, chances are, with Sperzel's, you'll have to hit the top of the post with something blunt to get it to release the low E.

I don't have any guitars with locking tuners anymore, but I won't begrudge their speed advantage...except I found Sperzel's lacking and the old-style PRS kind just plain hurt ones figures to lock.

• Members

I was able to put the Planet Waves locking tuners on my SG Classic with no Mods

The 3X3 PW's have the screw hole directly in line rather than off to an angle. And, if you're just looking for quality tuner with restringing ease, these are THE ticket because of the auto trim feature. I just wish I could get auto TRIM from a female!:lol:

And for those who think lockers will solve your trem tuning problems, think again. Standard tuners with strings properly wrapped are just as good.

If you think otherwise you need to learn to use standard tuners. Don't believe all the bull{censored} forced down your throat my the makers of locking tuners.

That said, I like the convenience of lockers. I also have been restringing guitars since before most of the forumites here were born.

• Members

Pull, clip, tune. No windings should mean less time.

On removal, chances are, with Sperzel's, you'll have to hit the top of the post with something blunt to get it to release the low E.

I don't have any guitars with locking tuners anymore, but I won't begrudge their speed advantage...except I found Sperzel's lacking and the old-style PRS kind just plain hurt ones figures to lock.

[shrug]

I've never had a problem doing quick string changes with standard tuners. I just have one of those Planet Waves clipper/winder dealios.

Archived