Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have the Epi Riviera with the mini-hums?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have the Epi Riviera with the mini-hums?

Tell me about it! I'm gassing....

They made them a few years ago in one of the Korean plants. Looks like this:

I make hand painted vintage style fuzzes: http://www.lowbroweffects.com

This is crazy, I have been meaning to post for the past couple days about what model that is.

My friend has a blue one that is pretty nice.

Comment

yep. mine's "antique natural". got it cuz i wanted a mahogany neck. waddya wanna know? almost every bit of hardware was complete ****************e. pups were crap (gave em to jj), pots were more like on/off switches, switch was cheap. and plastics tuners? i mean, come on. tailpiece is fine. bridge looks kinda wimpy but it'll do. neck feels a hair fatter than my 60s gibby neck, not bad. fret work wasn't bad, not as smooth as gibby. fretboard could use a bit of a roll on the edges. tuner holes look they were drilled by a monkey having his first day on the job. didn't notice till after i bought it. really ridiculous how bad the job is, maybe 1/8" away from where they should be.

in conclusion: except for the tuner holes, decent wood but count on putting more money into it to upgrade the incredibly crappy hardware.
      Originally Posted by Puckman

I'd have to put "Goo" in there first, personally.

Comment

GAS GAS GAS

Comment

One of my first guitars was an original 60s version. An absolutely increrdible guitar if you like thinner necks. Played like a gem.

Comment

...almost every bit of hardware was complete ****************e. pups were crap (gave em to jj), pots were more like on/off switches, switch was cheap....

Ah. Hmmm. Thanks for the info. I have played the one I have my eye on and it plays well and I like the neck, but I haven't been able to plug it in.

Pots and switches are easy...but those pups...that's the key element. Where they that "typical" Epiphone muddy, or?

Comment

muddy AND wimpy. just no beef. they might be better in a solid body but not good in the riv. have a set of old electra minis (which i've heard and love) and a set of old GFS memphis minis (which i haven't heard yet but are supposed to sound great). the riv will be getting one of them (likely the electras).

BTW - some semis have access to the innards at the bridge pup, not the riv. it's working thru the f-hole only.

Comment

also BTW - replaced my tuners with grover deluxes so i didn't need new screw holes. made a world of difference to the feel of the guitar. didn't feel like a toy anymore.

Comment

Epiphone's mini's are just some generic, Asian-made OEM mini's. Bland and anemic.

Not sure if real Gibsons will fit...they only sell the Epiphone-style mini's in Les Paul Deluxe P-90 housings. I have a box full of vintage mini's and the LPD-style have shorter mounting legs than the ones used in Epiphones and SG's. They should still fit, but may need a trimmed spring. I think GFS uses the same PU for both mounts.

Either way, a pair new mini's will run you from $75 (GFS)-$320 (Lollar) on top of the price of the guitar.

Comment

The Gibson mini fits. The Firebird mini does not.
                    Worth the swap. I had the same experience with the import mini on my kat.
                    Even the Kent Armstrong import minis are better.

EG
                    We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

Epiphone's mini's are just some generic, Asian-made OEM mini's. Bland and anemic.

Not sure if real Gibsons will fit...they only sell the Epiphone-style mini's in Les Paul Deluxe P-90 housings.

I have a box full of vintage mini's and the LPD-style have shorter mounting legs than the ones used in Epiphones and SG's. They should still fit, but may need a trimmed spring.

Either way, a pair new mini's will run you from $190 (Kent Armstong)-$320 (Lollar) on top of the price of the guitar.

yep. i got concerned when i saw an ad for another riv. the owner said he had a luthier mount a seymore duncan mini inside the epi cover cuz the SD was shorter. not sure about standard gibby size but the epi minis are identical to my electra and GFS minis as well as some deisel minis i used to have, mounting and dimension wise, so i'm inclined to think it's the SDs that are funky.

Comment

oh yeah - my GFS set was $65, some great reviews on the web. electra minis were $350 but they came with a guitar attached.

Comment

yep. i got concerned when i saw an ad for another riv. the owner said he had a luthier mount a seymore duncan mini inside the epi cover cuz the SD was shorter. not sure about standard gibby size but the epi minis are identical to my electra and GFS minis as well as some deisel minis i used to have, mounting and dimension wise, so i'm inclined to think it's the SDs that are funky.

Well, I know with Firebird mini's the vintage Gibson PU's are a slightly different size and shape than modern Gibson Firebird PU's. IIRC the newer ones are slightly larger and don't fit in vintage mounting rings. But the Epiphone-style should all be the same except for the mounting legs.

Comment

you would know better than i about this stuff. i have no experience with anything other than what i already mentioned.

Comment

Hmmm...replacement pups, pots and switch plus you gotta work through the f-ing f-hole. My GAS is kinda receding. Thank you for the input gentlemen.

I'm going to ponder this a bit...it may make more sense for me to get another 60's Gretsch Clipper and re-fit it like I did my main axe. The Epi was going to be used for backup mostly...or maybe I just ought use one of my solids for backup...chances are I won't need it anyway (knock on wood).

Comment

Working...
                              X