I have Silverface GAS! Show me yours!

Doctor Morbius

• Members

I'm no longer GASSING for guitars. Now my GAS has turned toward vintage Silverface Fender amps, especially Drip Edge. :eek:

Show me your Silverface amps to break down my willpower! :facepalm: Below are mine.

Here's my #1 1969 Silverface Twin Reverb. It has NOS RCA 7025 & JAN 12AT7 preamp tubes, TAD Tall power tubes and Alnico Weber California speakers. This amp sounds devine. It also weighs a TON.

IMG_0465a1.jpg

Here's my Vibrosonic Reverb. It has a full compliment of JJ's pre and power tubes and what appears to be a reconed JBL D130F.

IMG_0483a1.jpg

IMG_0489a1.jpg

And here's my #2 Silverface Twin Reverb. It's a 1975 that I got in a trade with a forum member. It currently has one of the original Utah speakers and a Weber 12F150. After a tube swap with JJ power tubes and a mix of JJ EC803, EC83 & NOS 12AT7 tubes, this amp sounds great too.

FrontAngle.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

An early 70's non-MV Twin was my only amp for many years. Great sound, a backbreaker to move around. I don't miss that too much, now I love the smaller models.:cool:

I kinda have a hankerin' for a Silverface Bassman but obviously no pics.

Everyone needs a Bassman, full of creamy goodness past 6 on the volume dial.:thu:

Here's my late '67 AB 165.

DSCN0216.jpg

• Members

Not a silverface, but I'm really wanting a Vibrolux Reverb.
:love:

EG

Actually I think they made Vibrolux Reverbs right into the '80s, and I also think that's one of the models that didn't get changed too awful much over its life. I've got a hankerin' for one myself. :thu:

• Members

Hey Doc Morbius, How do you feel about your two Twins? Specifically, the differences between them? Is the early SF markedly better, or at least noticeably different, tonally?

I'm talking to someone now about wrangling a beater mid-late '70s SF Twin for me to try and fix up. It might be a candidate for a ground-up restoration but it depends on how much I'll have to give for it. If I can swing a complete re-build, I'd probably go with a BF circuit with correct transformers. But if most of the electronics are still okay, I'd probably tend to lean toward keeping it as original as possible. I know the cosmetics are toast and it will need new tolex and grille cloth...maybe even a new cabinet.

• Members

Hey Doc Morbius, How do you feel about your two Twins? Specifically, the differences between them? Is the early SF markedly better, or at least noticeably different, tonally?

I'm talking to someone now about wrangling a beater mid-late '70s SF Twin for me to try and fix up. It might be a candidate for a ground-up restoration but it depends on how much I'll have to give for it. If I can swing a complete re-build, I'd probably go with a BF circuit with correct transformers. But if most of the electronics are still okay, I'd probably tend to lean toward keeping it as original as possible. I know the cosmetics are toast and it will need new tolex and grille cloth...maybe even a new cabinet.

It's hard to say because I dumped most of my good parts (speakers, tubes, plus it had a cap job) into the '69 while the '75 didn't get serviced to my knowledge and has different tubes and speakers. Both of them sound excellent, although I have a V3 tube in the '75 that is making some wooshing noises.

We did a side by side comparison one day and the '69 stood out for pristine cleans while the '75 sounded much better with a Barbar Direct Drive pedal in front of it for dirt. Weber even states that the Californias aren't ideal for dirt.

When it comes to the original speakers that were in them, I preferred the Utahs over the Oxfords.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Archived