X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have Silverface GAS! Show me yours!

I'm no longer GASSING for guitars. Now my GAS has turned toward vintage Silverface Fender amps, especially Drip Edge.

Show me your Silverface amps to break down my willpower! Below are mine.

Here's my #1 1969 Silverface Twin Reverb. It has NOS RCA 7025 & JAN 12AT7 preamp tubes, TAD Tall power tubes and Alnico Weber California speakers. This amp sounds devine. It also weighs a TON.

Here's my Vibrosonic Reverb. It has a full compliment of JJ's pre and power tubes and what appears to be a reconed JBL D130F.

And here's my #2 Silverface Twin Reverb. It's a 1975 that I got in a trade with a forum member. It currently has one of the original Utah speakers and a Weber 12F150. After a tube swap with JJ power tubes and a mix of JJ EC803, EC83 & NOS 12AT7 tubes, this amp sounds great too.

♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
    Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

I'm a big fan of Fender silverface amps. I'm down to just one amp now (my '66 Vibro Champ) but here are a few silverfaces I've owned in the past, just to help with the GAS.

I can't seem to find any photos of my silverface Princeton or Deluxe Reverb I used to own.
    Good transactions: warriorpoet, lowbrow, Puckman, BlackHatHunter, DracoAran, brianeharmonjr, natasmi, id-man, nbabmf, Splendor, angelhair0, d_dave_c, dcindc (x2), dogbone94, chiro972, coolwaterz, Radiohead, lol (x2), roadscholar, Hammer97e, teleman, torgeot, metalhead666666, zakadams, tincob, Doctor Morbius, HanSolo, danhauk, bennnintexas, Overwhelmed987, The Bear, 9-Pin-Phoenix, Dmerge, D34dBaWx, TomCray, Timmott, Tupelo Son, dogfish, ae3753, Gearhunter, virtuzoso, Meowy, RooSTER-b, mrbrown49

Comment

Not a silverface, but I'm really wanting a Vibrolux Reverb.

EG
      We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

Found a photo of the Princeton...

Good transactions: warriorpoet, lowbrow, Puckman, BlackHatHunter, DracoAran, brianeharmonjr, natasmi, id-man, nbabmf, Splendor, angelhair0, d_dave_c, dcindc (x2), dogbone94, chiro972, coolwaterz, Radiohead, lol (x2), roadscholar, Hammer97e, teleman, torgeot, metalhead666666, zakadams, tincob, Doctor Morbius, HanSolo, danhauk, bennnintexas, Overwhelmed987, The Bear, 9-Pin-Phoenix, Dmerge, D34dBaWx, TomCray, Timmott, Tupelo Son, dogfish, ae3753, Gearhunter, virtuzoso, Meowy, RooSTER-b, mrbrown49

Comment

I kinda have a hankerin' for a Silverface Bassman but obviously no pics.
          Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

They look great Tweedledee. You should have hung on to the Deluxe Reverb.

I Surf therefore I am.

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

Would that be a Bassman 10 combo or are you looking for just the head?

I Surf therefore I am.

Comment

A head, for sure!
                Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

A head, for sure!
                  Did you notice the Musicman Bass amp at 6 Strings Down?

I Surf therefore I am.

Comment

not a FENDER silver face....but how about a GIBSON silver face??

"If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
                    I woulda wrote a better song "
                    member Mazi Bee Militia
                    Talk Box Brigade
                    Gretsch Guards
                    Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

President and CEO of The Foundation Of Right
                      Also President and CEO of The Foundation Of Wrong

Originally Posted by StankNasty

the dream isn't in your parents' basement

Comment

An early 70's non-MV Twin was my only amp for many years. Great sound, a backbreaker to move around. I don't miss that too much, now I love the smaller models.

Everyone needs a Bassman, full of creamy goodness past 6 on the volume dial.

Here's my late '67 AB 165.

Comment

Tell me what dripedge means.

Here is my '74 Pro Reverb (no pull gain) and a nasty 70's Gibson. The amp still has the same tubes that were in it when I bought it around '76.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Drip edge classifies a certain era of Silverfaces that had a silver metal border around the speaker fabric.

Scroll down and look at the border on this Twin Reverb ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Twin-Reverb-1968-Stunning-Condition-Glassy-Tones-/140444758657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b328 f281

I Surf therefore I am.

Comment

Tell me what dripedge means.

"Drip Edge" refers to the earliest silverface amps ('68-'69) that had an aluminum frame around the grill, like this:

Comment

Working...
                              X