FretLord products (FretOptiX / GlowDotz) - anybody tried?

Alex_SF

• Members

That goldtop Showmaster I just picked up is pretty all right, but she's turning out to be a bit of a high-maintenance bitch. Needs some fretwork, a couple of longer intonation adjustment screws, and I'm not real crazy about that markerless fretboard. But it's so damn good-looking, I'll deal with those issues.

As for the fretboard: I may look into adding at least a 12th-fret inlay, and perhaps the others as well, down the road. But for now, I'm considering these products, especially for the upcoming gig where the guitar will go perfectly with my costume:

http://www.fretlord.com/fretoptix.htm

http://www.fretlord.com/glowdotz.htm

Has anyone tried these? My biggest concern is whether they'd get in the way or have a noticeable effect on feel. Can you do bends on a fretboard with stick-on markers without interference? Or does having a fiberoptic line running up the side of the neck make it feel funny, or make you have to adjust your playing for it?

Any reviews would be appreciated.

• Members

I tried a the fret-optix. FWIW, I bought them through the website & everything went fine.

Anyways, though the fiber strand didn't bother me at all while playing (imagine having a piece of scotch tape running along the edge of your fretboard), it was pretty useless on stage. Unless it is VERY dark, they are difficult to see. I ended up taking them off of the two guitars I had them on.

OTOH, the bass player in my band has the LED strip from FretFX on one of his basses and I can say without a doubt that they are FAR superior to the Optix. You can easily see them even on a well-lit stage :thu:

I can't speak for the Glow-dots, but I do have some of those vinyl 'inlay' stickers on one of my guitars... they look pretty cheesy but don't necessarily get in the way :idk: If I wanted glow-in-the-dark 'inlays', though, I'd probably head to the local hobby store to make my own.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I can tell you that their customer service is horrible. I ordered an item and paid 8.99 for 2 day shipping and they didn’t even send it out for 2 days and it was in stock, and the tracking number says I won’t get it for a week. They never answer emails either. I’m done with them.

Archived