Peavey Bandit112 vs Peavy Valveking 112 - Help me decide!

BlueSky1963

• Members

I'd post this in HCAF, but y'all know how that place is... :freak: :freak: :freak: :freak:

Currently, the only amp I have is a Peavey Rage 158 (15W) that's about 12 years old.

I'd like to by a larger amp, but I'm on a limited budget. I've narrowed it down to two in my price range; the Bandit 112 (Solid State, 80W, $299) and Valveking 112 (Tube, 50W, $419). Normally, I'd opt for the tube amp over the solid state, but I'm seeing mixed reviews for the Valveking.

Anyone own a Valveking or ever use one? Is it worth the extra $120 or should I go the Solid State route? The Rage has Transtube and I'd consider it acceptable given the circumstances.

• Members

I know a couple guys that have VKs and after some mods like new tube they like them. I personally have only played with the stock VK and have to say I really hated them. The cleans are good but the overdrive is a buzzy, ice pickey mess. I kind of like steve_man's suggestion of the Fender Mustang II. I played one today and it was a cool amp.

• Members

BlueSky,

I have the VK112, and had an older Bandit for a while. The Bandit was way too heavy for me to drag around - it was really a problem cause I have a bad back. The VK CAN be a great amp with some pre-amp re-tubing. It is not a metal amp - but does vintage, and medium high gain well. The reverb is not the best - but I set that at more of a subtle setting and it is not a problem for me. If you end up getting the VK - PM me - I'll give you some suggestions.

• Members

The early Bandits with Transtube were killer amps. I'm not sure so much about the newer ones. I remember several years ago being in a store and trying out a newer Bandit and having that "what's happened?" feeling. I bought that Bandit for my stepson and he's had the same reaction.

Along the lines of what Steve_Man is saying, I'd also keep an eye out for the new line of Vox amps that will be available shortly.

771779.jpg

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/7/7/9/771779.jpg

I think it would bring you more versatility than the Valve King.

But then again, I'm pretty sure we're into another new generation of the Bandit since the last time I auditioned one, so it's definitely worth checking out. They sure were stellar for the money. I offered my stepson a Fender Super 112 tube or a Marshall VS8080 in trade for the Bandit I bought him, and he wouldn't bite on either. ;) He still luvs that amp some 16 or so years later.

• Members

I own a Valve King 112 and have had it for about a year and a half. I bought it after using it to demo a guitar and I could hear the potential in the amp.

The key to getting the most out of the VK is two-fold: you need a decent speaker and decent preamp tubes. The VK is a solid amp and, after a few changes, it is a fantastic sounding amp. I have a Hellatone 60 in mine. It has beautiful cleans and, with the bright switch engaged, it comes very close to Fender territory. The second channels sounds really good for anything from slight dirt to a fair amount of gain. It really likes pedals. It's light and dependable.

If you can find a used one you can probably replace the speaker and retube it for close to what a new one costs. I honestly think that if you go for the VK you will not be disappointed by it.

• Members

the word is around here that the older bandit(s) was better. I cactually have the smaller one, the Envoy, and don't like it. Weight, poor controls, speaker sounds cheap, and really it was too much money considering.

I mentioned above that I'd bought a Bandit for my stepson that I liked, but I also had bought an Envoy for my son. Night and day between the two. We sold off the Envoy. There's a lot better sounding bedroom amps around than that one, but that early Bandit is indeed a sweet SS amp.

• Members

I have a Bandit 112 (the latest model). I play in the basement and occasionally jam with some guys from work. Got it because I was tired of replacing tubes that got bumped or damaged, got tired of trying to turn it down, got tired...well, I realized once I added a pedal or fuzz I couldn't tell the different. Tone is in the fingers, and apparently I don't have very high quality fingers. Figured the cost difference over the life of the amp might only be $200 or so and with the two channels and three amp characteristics on each channel in the Bandit, I'd be more than happy. If I was a good enough player that I could tell the difference between a Peavey SS and Peavey Tube amp...well, I would have got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and an attenuator instead.

That and I got the Bandit as a Dent and Scratch from MF for under $200 shipped once discounts and everything else was applied.

I've since learned that no matter what I play through, I still sound like crap...so I'm glad I saved my money.

• Members

Sorry I haven't responded, family stuff.

Re: Mustang II - I'm sure it's a fine amp, but I used a POD XT, so all of the modeling would be overkill. In fact, probably should have stated that I'd be running through a POD.

Also, I'm looking for something that's good for blues/classic rock, not really a metal amp. I don't gig, but I'd like to have one that I could get by with if the opportunity arises.

Re: Fender Frontman 212 - I took a look at that one, but the reviews were mixed. Anybody know more about them?

Woody: thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind if I get a Valveking.

• Members

Sorry I haven't responded, family stuff.

Re: Fender Frontman 212 - I took a look at that one, but the reviews were mixed. Anybody know more about them?

At MF out of 191 reviews it has 4 2/3 stars of of 5. That is "mixed" reviews? I think you would hardly find an amp with a perfect score with that many reviews. Perhaps you're looking for a perfect amp. If that's the case, they don't make one of those yet. Regards, Flip.

• Members

Get a Fender Mustang II...$199...

This is the correct answer.

Unless you plan on dropping some serious coin on a high end or vintage tube amp, this is the best option. IMO, the Mustang sounds far better than most of the budget tube amps I've heard.

• Members

At MF out of 191 reviews it has 4 2/3 stars of of 5. That is "mixed" reviews? I think you would hardly find an amp with a perfect score with that many reviews. Perhaps you're looking for a perfect amp. If that's the case, they don't make one of those yet. Regards, Flip.

MF is not the only place for reviews. The HC gear reviews paint a little bit different picture. Seems that everyone universally raves about the clean channel (Ok, it is a Fender after all), but the jury's out on the overdrive channel.

A lot of people are running SSS Strats through it and love it. Some people running humbuckers through it love it, others aren't quite so sure. I call that mixed reviews.

No, there is no perfect amp. If there was, we'd all own one and there would be only 1 amp to choose from. I'm trying to get the best amp I can for both my Strats and my SG, on a tight budget. So you'll have to forgive me for asking for more information.

Archived