Source for good 4-way rotary switch

markanini

• Members

I'm planning to add a 4-way rotary to a dual pickup guitar. I've gathered a 3-pole switch is enough for the config I had in mind(both PUs in series being the exotic setting).

So does anyone know of depenable switch of this type? Is ALPS of Japan good?

As kind of an aside I found a made in Germany MEC brand switch, used in Framus guitars. It costs "only" 200 Euro. Is'nt that crazy?!

• Members

For almost all audio electronic supplies, I visit a local electronic surplus store. If you have something similar to that in Sweden, I would try there first. The store I frequent, Tanner Electronics in Richardson, TX, always has a bunch of rotary switches in a variety of poles and positions.

• Members

Thanks, Will! I've check all local electronics suppliers and no luck.

The 4-wat rotary Allparts sells looks nice actually but I'm concered the extra real estate it takes to the sides with cause it to bump into a barrel jack inside the cavity.

• Members

Thanks, Will! I've check all local electronics suppliers and no luck.

The 4-wat rotary Allparts sells looks nice actually but I'm concered the extra real estate it takes to the sides with cause it to bump into a barrel jack inside the cavity.

I like the Lorlin switches out of the UK. They're in a plastic casing with a footprint pretty close to a full sized pot versus the oblong build of most rotary switches and have a thread long enough to be (barely) mounted in a Les Paul/335. Should be able to find a closer dealer to you as well. Tanner only carries the 3 way 4-pole model by Lorlin (which looks similiar to below but with a short shaft) but they make them in every possible configuration.

ck1031.jpg

• Members

I've used Lorlin a lot for other electronics projects. They offer a huge variety.

ALPS is very highly regarded in the hi-fi and audio community. I wouldn't hesitate to use one that matched my needs.

Even though you probably wouldn't order from Mouser here in the States, you can look at their online catalog and see all the rotary options and get manufacturer part numbers. Rotary switches are pages 1727-1736. Alpha is on pages 1727-1728 and Lorlin on page 1733.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/642/ELECTROSECTIONGUIDE.pdf

Remember, must rotary switches can be locked down to a certain number of positions. So, if you can't find a 4-position switch with enough poles, you usually can buy a 5- or 6- or whatever-position switch and lock it down to 4 positions.

You'll probably want a "make-before-break"/shortening switch for avoid pops in a guitar.

Archived