Artists who used the VOX AC30?

Woody_in_MN

• Members

For some reason I think I read that Chad Kroger was using one at one time for cleans. I might be wrong about that but I seem to recall them being endorsed by Vox at one time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Maybe not. They may have just been using the valvetronic series as their backstage warmup amps.

• Members

For some reason I think I read that Chad Kroger was using one at one time for cleans. I might be wrong about that but I seem to recall them being endorsed by Vox at one time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Maybe not. They may have just been using the valvetronic series as their backstage warmup amps.

Chad Kroger was endorsed by Vox in the 1960s/70s?

• Members

Vox initially developed the AC30 for The Shadows because their AC15s weren't loud enough. It then ended up as the basic default amp for practically everyone (Beatles, Stones, Animals, Yardbirds, Kinks etc -- though not The Who: Pete T preferred Fenders) until the arrival of the first Marshall amps.

Quick-and-dirty broadstroke summary: The Vox AC30 ruled the UK domestic market for the first half of the 1960s. Marshall took over for the second half and onwards.

Vintage AC30s continued to have their loyalists even into the Marshall era, notably Rory Gallagher and Brian May. They had a resurgence during the punk era -- Joe Strummer and Paul Weller, to name but two -- and, later on, The Edge.

(I had an elderly piggyback model in the late 1970s, bought from Johnny Guitar, then of Count Bishops, later in Dr Feelgood, when he 'traded up' to a Marshall -- but foolishly sold it in late 1980 because I wanted a 'modern', 'contemporary' sound. Bought a Peavey Deuce -- hey! Channel switching! Built-n phaser! -- in a serious fit of the stupids. Wish I (a) knew where it was now and (b) could afford to buy it back.)

(The AC30, I mean ... couldn't give a flying one where that cheasey Peavey is now.)

• Members

Wikipedia's list of notable users:

Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch and Jet Harris of The Shadows, for whom the amplifier was developed

John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison of The Beatles

Jim Albrecht of Hoi Polloi

Keith Richards and Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones

Pete Townshend of The Who

Paul Weller of The Jam

Rory Gallagher

John Scofield, noted jazz/fusion guitarist

Brian May of Queen

Matthew Bellamy of Muse

Snowy White

The Edge and Bono of U2

Tom Petty and Mike Campbell of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Peter Buck of R.E.M.

Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues

Jonny Greenwood, Thom Yorke and Ed O'Brien of Radiohead

Hans Magnus Ryan a.k.a. Snah of Motorpsycho

Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol

• Members

Vox initially developed the AC30 for The Shadows because their AC15s weren't loud enough.

sorry to stray OT, but i was wondering what the "good" years for an ac30 are? how do the new ones stack up against the old ones?

• Members

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

in the 60s or 70s?

Archived