Finding the date my G&L Legacy was made via serial

Alexbiscuit

• Members

I don't really want to remove the neck to look at the stamp so I figured I'd try and figure it out by serial number.

It's a CL08xxx

"From 1980 through 1996 and into 1997, serial numbers of the form GXXXXXX were used for guitars and serial numbers of the form BXXXXXX were used for basses. The two notable exceptions to this are the "GF" and "BC" serial numbers, used (respectively) for the George Fullerton Signature Model and the Broadcaster. Beginning in late 1997, G&L employed serial numbers of the form CLXXXXX, where - as verified by G&L's Dave McLaren - CL stands for "Clarence Leo" (note that Leo Fender's full name was "Clarence Leo Fender"). This was changed one year later to the most current scheme of CLFXXXXX, for all serial numbering."

I see most serials of G&Ls made in the past 15 yrs as CLFxxxx, and mine is CLxxxxx, does this definitely mean mine is a late 97/98 model?

bought it off of ebay and not even the certificate has the year, just the serial

• Members

I'm sure you could email G&L and figure it out more precisely. I think mine is like CLF36000 or something like that and it's a 2005, so you're way before that.

3-bolt or 4-bolt? I think 1997 was right about when they did the 3-4 bolt switch, I'm guessing they changed the headstock logo then too. Maybe the serial # scheme as well?

This is my headstock, looks like the only difference it is says "guitars by leo" under the G&L logo.

Guitar_6_master_final.jpg

• Members

bubbluz yeah see yours is drastically different and its from the same year as mine. Yet i've seen some from this decade that are an ® mark away from being nearly identical to mine. i wonder how many different headstock decals they've used on the same model over the years

• Members

oh i got it a few months ago, but thank you!! every day feels like a NGD with this thing
:)

any excuse to whore it out is a good excuse:

i recently just noticed how tasty the swamp ash grain under the bridge looks on it

28bbj9h.jpg
35ldh78.jpg

funny..I also have a G&L Legacy and a Fender Twin:)

They make a great pair:thu:

Archived