How Do You Wire Your Strat?

kayd_mon

• Members

I prefer:

tone 1 - middle

tone 2 - bridge

no tone control on the neck

I never use a tone control on the neck, I usually roll the bridge back a little, and I'll occasionally roll the middle back some. I hate it when the tone is shared.

The switching is standard.

What do you guys use?

• Members

I have em wired all sorts of ways:

1. Stock
2. Stock with the second tone on the middle and bridge
3. MV/MT, no third pot
4. MV/Blender, no tone pot at all
5. Volume, Master Tone, Blender (to blend neck and bridge pickups)
6. Like #2 but with an On/Off mini toggle for the neck ala Gilmour
7. Master volume, tone only on the bridge pickup and the 3 way switch only works the neck and bridge pickups.

I really like having the ability to use the neck and bridge positions. It doesn't really sound as much like a tele as you'd think. It basically sounds like a bridge setting, but a little more full sounding. Great for clean tones where you want it to sound bright, but not shrill.

• Members

Mine is a SSS with a Duncan Lil 59'er humbucker in the bridge with 3 push-pulls and a mini-toggle:

Master Volume - PP switches neck/mid between series/parallel
Master Tone - PP turns bridge SD Lil 59'er from single coil to humbucker
Bridge Volume - PP makes bridge pup always on. When always on the bridge pup bypasses the master volume so I can control the volume of the neck/mid and bridge independently.
Mini-toggle - bypasses all pots so signal goes directly to the output jack.

• Members

I prefer:

tone 1 - middle

tone 2 - bridge

no tone control on the neck

I never use a tone control on the neck, I usually roll the bridge back a little, and I'll occasionally roll the middle back some. I hate it when the tone is shared.

The switching is standard.

What do you guys use?

Mine is exactly the same, except I put a mini toggle in for a neck/bridge position.

• Members

Um...well it's not done yet, but I am working with my local (awesome) luthier to create this strat setup:

stereostratconceptdrawi.jpg

(I would do it myself, but I now live in a small apartment and don't have the right tools for this job)

Ok, so that's slightly different from the final design, but has the same functionality. The wiring goes like this:

Neck and Mid Pickup are controlled by one of two 4-way telecaster pickup selectors (wired as mid/parallel/neck/series). This is group 1.

Bridge and um...other bridge are wired the same exact way to the second 4-way tele switch.

The Jaguar Control plate is wired the same way as a Jaguar bass pickup selector. So, one switch is on/off for pickup group 1, another switch is on/off for group two, the third switch is series/parallel between the two group outputs.

In the most recent design the mini-switch is eliminated and the third knob is retained for use with a 4-way rotary switch. This is wired for the same configurations as the 4-way tele selectors, but it controls only the series/parallel/coil choice on the humbucker.

The two remaining knobs are volume knobs for each group.

These are also both push/pull pots. Pulling on either pot will send the output that it controls to a second jack on the guitar. So, you can operate the guitar in either mono (up to all 5 coils in series or parallel or combinations of some in parallel some in series); or you can use it for stereo operation and send the two pickup groups to two separate amps.

In the latest design, the second jack is mounted on a custom plate along with the first jack (which occupies the same space as the current jack plate).

It's way more complicated to explain than it is to use, I think, but this should afford, I believe, 151 mono output combinations.

• Members
Um...well it's not done yet, but I am working with my local (awesome) luthier to create this strat setup:

stereostratconceptdrawi.jpg
(I would do it myself, but I now live in a small apartment and don't have the right tools for this job)

Ok, so that's slightly different from the final design, but has the same functionality. The wiring goes like this:

Neck and Mid Pickup are controlled by one of two 4-way telecaster pickup selectors (wired as mid/parallel/neck/series). This is group 1.

Bridge and um...other bridge are wired the same exact way to the second 4-way tele switch.

The Jaguar Control plate is wired the same way as a Jaguar bass pickup selector. So, one switch is on/off for pickup group 1, another switch is on/off for group two, the third switch is series/parallel between the two group outputs.

In the most recent design the mini-switch is eliminated and the third knob is retained for use with a 4-way rotary switch. This is wired for the same configurations as the 4-way tele selectors, but it controls only the series/parallel/coil choice on the humbucker.

The two remaining knobs are volume knobs for each group.

These are also both push/pull pots. Pulling on either pot will send the output that it controls to a second jack on the guitar. So, you can operate the guitar in either mono (up to all 5 coils in series or parallel or combinations of some in parallel some in series); or you can use it for stereo operation and send the two pickup groups to two separate amps.

In the latest design, the second jack is mounted on a custom plate along with the first jack (which occupies the same space as the current jack plate).

It's way more complicated to explain than it is to use, I think, but this should afford, I believe, 151 mono output combinations.

You will need a Olympic size swimming pool route for that. And a mile of wiring, which will probably cause a lot of noise. I think I'll stick with the standard Fender wiring.

You could consider designing a dedicated microprocessor for all that, that's what Gibson did with the "X", or is it "Ten"?

• Members

Master Vol

Master Tone

Usually I have a push/pull in the bottom control to turn on the bridge in series with whatever the 5-way has selected. Middle/bridge in series does a pretty convincing humbucker tone, 'specially w/some dirt on it.

I found having 2 tone controls to be too much to think about while playing line. 1 vol, 1 tone (all pickups connected to it) is just much easier.

Archived