Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum guitars?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Industrial Indy-8 aluminum lap steel sustains for days. GREAT guitar.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I can't imagine they sound good in comparison to wood though I have no real clue. Anyone use done? What are the tonal qualities?

I'd guess they sound like utter ****************, since all the "experts" here claim that teh tone is in the wood!

I'd love to try one out. Most I've seen are good looking and I'd imagine they sound like what ever pups are installed. Seems they be more stable too and not so affected by climate and weather.

Comment

why not just listen to one...the Veleno guitar and Mark Farner in 1974 with Grand Funk Railroad

"If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
        I woulda wrote a better song "
        member Mazi Bee Militia
        Talk Box Brigade
        Gretsch Guards
        Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

Don't know which sound the best, but the alum strats Fender made were beautiful guitars.

http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000262.html

"These riffs were built to last a life time". Keith Richards

"All the women in the world want a phony rock star who plays guitar". John Cougar Mellencamp

Comment

Sounds sweet to my ears:
            I don't play a lot of fancy guitar. I don't want to play it. The kind of guitar I want to play is mean, mean licks.
            ~ John Lee Hooker

Comment

The important question though is, do you pronounce it:

'alooominum',

or:

'aluminium'

?

...or maybe "ah-loo-min-ee-um"

Comment

wooden guitars are so passe.
                Proud founder of the Trailer Trash Tattooed Piece of ****************/Dollar Store Trash Club.
                Tattoos courtesy of Espi & Alison Casson

Comment

Tone is in the fingers

Comment

Aluminium I don't know, but LePape's steelbody guitars are stellar - and quite "woody" sounding:

http://www.loiclepapesteelguitars.com/spip.php?rubrique2

Mine:

ironically, that gives me wood

Comment

Eurgh, Americans! oke:

Was waiting to see a James Trussart link. Bravo. Beautiful guitars.

I know James.
                      Here's a couple of his that one of my clients owns.

The apparent "rust" on here is actually sealed in somehow. It isn't rusty..These were brand new when I took these shots. I guess you could say James "reliced" this one. I'll ask him what he calls this.

A good guitar cannot be built for the price of a poor one, but who regrets the extra cost for a good guitar?"
                      F.H.Martin

Comment

Mark Farner sounded pretty good back in the early 70's with his Veleno aluminum guitar

Not really. Mark's a great player, but I think his tone is pretty bad. I don't think he used the Veleno that much anyway.

I bought one of the original Velenos back in 1976 or so. It really wasn't a very good guitar. Had a neck like a sword and a pretty thin, wimpy sound.

Comment

Aluminum body with flame maple top/cap?
                          I've got guitars

Good deals with;
                          Juggernaut, FUZZboat, Joshstruction, again with this, Megadeth7684, Dave67, notesfield, conky, Start_Today11, maxdgad, munizfire

Comment

I had an Aluminum necked Kramer in the '70s, looked cool and sustained like crazy, sounded like crap. My buddy had a Travis Bean, same thing (but his was cooler looking). And once the stage lights hit it, it would immediately go out of tune...
                            Straight-Jacket memories, and Sedative highs... the Good Old Days.

Comment

I have a HUGE boner for these Travis Beans that Yannis Philippakis of Foals plays. Aluminum neck and section running through the guitar. ****************ers are supposedly absurdly priced, though.

I should be doing something more productive.

Originally Posted by customtele

Just don't get a gun. It won't get you laid. Wearing a space suit will get you laid.

Comment

Steve Albini plays a TRAVIS BEAN TB-500.

Comment

Working...
                                X