replacing bridge pickup in fender blacktop jaguar

offbyone

• Members

i recently acquired one of the new fender blacktop jaguar guitars. the stock pickups for stock pickups sound good, but i want to swap the bridge for something else. compared to my other guitars theres a bit to much of a volume different for my liking, its not very loud in comparison to my other guitars. i want something aggressive sounding that will hit the high gain mark, but retains clarity. i mainly play rock/pop rock. i want to put something that has a midrange spike and very tight articulate palm mutes so ive been looking into the different gibson bridge humbuckers. im leaning towards the 498T but im not sure, maybe a classic 57 plus. i had a les paul standard 08, and the burstbucker pro in that was a little bit muddy to me? any suggestions/input?

• Members

what comes in these guitars stock is a "fender hot vintage alnico pickup" ive tried to find specs on these but pretty much all fender's website has on these pickups is the name. none of its qualities or anything like that. they dont sound bad, ive just noticed that theyre not as powerful of a pickup as i would like.

• Members

It's a bit trickier with alder since a lot of humbucking swapping opinions are based on mahogany bodies (deeper/darker than alder)

But I'd suggest you look into the Pearly Gates Plus

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Seymour-Duncan-Pearly-Gates-099-2135-000-p/099-2135-000.htm

I believe the Alnico V magnet is a better match with Alder, and so did Fender since they used it on a lot of their guitars.

• Members

ok ill look into those, for some reason im really leaning towards the duncan custom. putting those in the bridge since its the smaller scale and adjustomatic bridge im assuming i would get the regular humbucker, not the trembucker as most other fenders would use? or would it be the trembucker?

• Members

You know, the Custom might not be a bad choice. I haven't used it myself, have used the Custom V, but the ceramic in the custom might be a nice choice since the EQ to my ears seems a bit flatter with ceramics so it might be good for controlling the highs. A lot of folks often recommend the Custom Custom but it rolls off way too much of the highs and lows for my tastes (but a great "cuts through the mix? pickup). Also consider the Custom V. The one I have doesn't thrill me, but it's in an ESP EC-400 that has a fairly dense mahogany body. It might be livelier in alder.

I would think trembucker, but do the measurements to see what you need.

from the DiMarzio website:

"What is F-spacing?

All of our full-size humbuckers except the X2N

• Members

FWIW, I have the Blacktop Jazzmaster and I will be installing a Custom 8 trembucker in the bridge and I know it will sound pretty good. Not complaining about the stock Fender or DD in there now but I want a zebra or all creme pickup in the bridge to match my creme makeover on it. If that Custom 8 doesn't bond well (and I'm sure it will) I will try a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF in creme in the bridge and that might even be a better overall match for the Antiquity II Jazzmaster neck I will be installing. Having said all that the Jaguar and Jazzmaster are pretty similar so the pickup choices should yield the same end result.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just got one of these recently also. The stock pickups definitely can be improved upon, especially when under high gain. The clarity just isn't there.

I love the neck and the short scale but the PU's will be replaced very soon. I am going with Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's in mine. I prefer lower output pickups so I can let my high gain amp provide the desired gain. I have found that high output PU's coupled with high gain amps cause nothing but a muddy mess. Here's a few pics of mine!

IMG00007-20101126-1000.jpg

IMG00006-20101126-0958.jpg

Archived