Gibson LP Standard vs. Duesenberg vs. White Penguin

jnick

• Members

Allright. Christmas almost here, and I've been saving for that dream of mine!

Its gonna be on of these three, but I reall cant decide!!

1.) Les Paul Standard/Supreme/Historic

2.) Duesenberg Starplayer TV (Has a nice tremolo)

3.) Gretsch White Penguin LTV Bigsby

I want some opinions on this. The White Penguin has always been my dream, and I could track down one with the TV Jones humbuckers and Bigsby close to my place. The Duesenberg is the most affordable, but I've saved enough for any of the three.

The Gretsch and Duesenberg have a tremolo, the LP naturally doesnt. The Duesenberg and Penguin are semi hollow.

I definitely want a humbucker guitar, so all three fulfill that criteria, because I only have a strat and tele with single coils so far.

I'm not sure if the White Penguin is such a versatile instrument as the duesenberg or the les paul, so thats whats holding me back.

I play through a modded bassman or a marshall 1987 usually. Also, I'm wondering how twangy the White Penguin is. I've only heard it recorded, but never played. I like some twang but my tele sometimes just bites too hard.

Maybe I'll just go try all three and decide then? But I must sort of make a ranking first.

Which one of the LP would you prefer? Standard, Supreme, Historic? Why?

What do you think in terms of versatility?

gretsch-g6134t-ltv-white-penguin.jpg

Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-2008-Desert-Bur

GE-DUE-Starplayertv2tonesunburst_01.jpg

• Members

I'd go for the White Penguin - it's always been a dream guitar of mine as well. However, I've never played or even heard one, but it's such a cool looking and unique guitar that I find it incredibly appealing. Nothing wrong with a Les Paul - I have one myself. But so does everybody else. Between the guitars you've listed, that would be my last choice. I'm not as familiar with the Duesenberg, but it looks really nice in in the pic. I would want to explore that one a bit more before making a decision.

• Members

Thanks for your opinion! Can you explain why you think so?

Premium wood, more hand crafting etc. You can get a nice R7 or R8 used for around $2K and R9s for $3K. All are solid bodies and weigh in on average between 8 and 9 lbs non-weight relieved. They are made in different facilities too.

Now that doesn't mean non-Historic Gibsons are bad, just the Historics get the better wood and finer detail of finishing. Also they are more vintage correct. Long neck tenon, angle of neck to body etc.

• Members

I saw Buddy Miller playing with Robert Plant recently. He was playing a black penguin quite a bit through some Swart amps. That was easily the sweetest sounding rig I've ever heard in my life.

Of course, Buddy might have had something to do with that. :D

Honestly, though, he played several other guitars that night through the same amps. The Gretsch put em all to shame.

EG

• Members

That one is out of my price range... And I tihnk its also a bit bigger! I'm not too big of a guy
:)

Look used and the Johnny A actually is fairly small body. Between a Les Paul and a 335.

How much do you have to spend? That really determines it. I've seen Johnny A's used for around $2500.

• Members

I think once i get to the store I will also try out a gretsch duo jet with bigsby...Another 3 weeks time to think about it
:)

Check out the Duesenberg, theyre German made (I am German) guitars:

http://www.duesenberg.de/

Some nice sound samples of the Starplayer TV on the site. That first neck pickup sample sounds extremely cool.

I really kinda want a duo jet

but ive never got to play one, or buy one yet

also I *think they have floating bridges and I dunno if im keen on that. nt that it woudl be a huge deal

• Members

What about the Duesenberg Mike Cambell signature model? I think that would be at the very top of my list.

I was just thinking the same thing when I 1st started reading this thread. That is an extremely beautiful guitar.

hb_starplayer_mc2.jpg

Other than that, I'd definitely consider a white penguin. I've always wanted a white falcon actually.

• Members

When i first saw a white falcon, that actually caught my attention. But then I not a big guy, and i saw one in a store and it was just huge. I knew the falcon was just not for me, but then one day i stumbled over the penguin.

The Mike Campbell Starplayer is indeed a piece of art.

I like to play melodic music...No hard rock or metal or anyhting in that direction...but still use distortion, I love my 1987 marshall with nice crunch.

Think of the old chili peppers stuff from around 87-90. Then bluesy stuff, maybe in the direction of hendrix...hm...hard to put in words. I'm not a master in judging genres, especially the ones I play.

I play lot of music without words, as in I jam with a friend whos also guitar player, and we just play.

Think of something like this

Then I also play a lot of rhythm guitar in our band...I dont really know how to say more :confused: Maybe more in the direction of indie rock.

Then I also like to play by myself and sing along...I really like joe strummers music, neil young, the solo stuff frusciante is doing....

I think the white penguin is still my favorite, as i have dreamed of owning one since many years, on and off... I just wont be sure until I've held it in my hands.

This video is pretty nice. Italian guy who can play really nicely

I've watched this so many times :)

• Members

listened to the clip - you'll be most satisfied with the Penguin. It's obviously the one that appeals to you the most appearance-wise. As well, it will be well suited for your music style - as Cobalt said, you won't be happy without the Bigsby/tremolo.

Congrats on saving your money for this purchase ;)

• Members

Gretsch. Try them all. Its your money. I'm biased. I have played a Gretsch for 35 years+. '62 Tennessean. I have a Strat, and an offset also. Nothing sounds like a Gretsch, but a Gretsch can sound like lots of other guitars. Stock filtertrons are awesome, TV Jones pups awesome, too.

Archived