NGD: G&L Tribute Comanche, review and pics

seven58

• Members

I am not a "Strat" guy, but I do like strats a lot. Actually I am more of a "Les Paul/Strat/Ibanez RG" guy. There is definitely something unique about a Strat. For the same reasons I like them, I wouldn't want to play one all the time. I have been interested in G&L guitars for a long time. Especially considering that Leo Fender claimed the G&L line of instruments were "the best instruments I have ever made."

The G&L Comanche is a similar design to the Fender Stratocaster but utilizes MFD Z-coil pickups, a Dual Fulcrum vibrato bridge and additional pickup switch options (super-switch).

My first impressions... I notice and appreciate how an electric guitar sounds unplugged. I think you can tell a lot about its build and quality this way. Strats have a resonance about them that make them fun to play unplugged. The G&L didn't have the same resonance, even though it is a very similar guitar. The build quality is solid and spot on. In my research about the Comanche I don't think I read a negative review. The reviews also said that the Tribute series is built as well as the American builds and has the same USA hardware and USA pickups. The z-coil pickups are much more quiet than my Seymour Duncan single coils in my Lite Ash Strat. The Z pickups

• Members

Nice figure on the neck, and nice tint as well. Looks like a keeper!

BTW - are those still MIK, or are the made in China these days?

Thanks. Mine was made in Indonesia. I got it last week from a dealer (Northwoods Music, nice people) all the way in Minnesota.

• Members

Very nice guitar:thu:

I am on the lookout for a USA G&L Comanche - They are indeed great guitars.

The dealer I bought mine from said that he is having a hard time selling the USA models when people come in and play them side by side. I like buying USA, but not for an extra $1500 when the products are nearly identical.

For that matter, I have a MIM Strat that I like better than any strat I have picked up including my Lite Ash and all the American models I have played.

• Members

At first I thought it'd be the US model, judging from the neck. The one on my old ASAT Tribute ain't that nice!

Congrats, this has also been on my GAS list for a very long time, before they made a Tribute model. Tempting :)

• Members

At first I thought it'd be the US model, judging from the neck. The one on my old ASAT Tribute ain't that nice!

Congrats, this has also been on my GAS list for a very long time, before they made a Tribute model. Tempting
:)

Thanks. Everything I read said that these Tributes are spot on, especially since they use the same hardware and pickups as the U.S.

• Members

Thanks. Everything I read said that these Tributes are spot on, especially since they use the same hardware and pickups as the U.S.

I have an older Korean model... It has US pickups, but the hardware is MIK. They used to come with American hardware years ago... Or maybe they went back to using it :idk:

Either way, one more for my eBay search list :thu:

• Members

Nice looking guitar! I prefer a more traditional tone so the Comanche and S500 aren't really for me, but they are very cool guitars. I really like G&L's PTB system too. Interesting comment about the unplugged sound - since it is a maple capped guitar, perhaps that is causing some of the difference in tone versus a traditional Strat style which uses different body woods?

It has US pickups, but the hardware is MIK. They used to come with American hardware years ago...

I believe that is correct, the pickups are the USA pickups, but the hardware (while the same design) is not the same. At least that's how it used to be. :idk:

Archived