Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: G&L Tribute Comanche, review and pics

I am not a "Strat" guy, but I do like strats a lot. Actually I am more of a "Les Paul/Strat/Ibanez RG" guy. There is definitely something unique about a Strat. For the same reasons I like them, I wouldn't want to play one all the time. I have been interested in G&L guitars for a long time. Especially considering that Leo Fender claimed the G&L line of instruments were "the best instruments I have ever made."

The G&L Comanche is a similar design to the Fender Stratocaster but utilizes MFD Z-coil pickups, a Dual Fulcrum vibrato bridge and additional pickup switch options (super-switch).

My first impressions... I notice and appreciate how an electric guitar sounds unplugged. I think you can tell a lot about its build and quality this way. Strats have a resonance about them that make them fun to play unplugged. The G&L didn't have the same resonance, even though it is a very similar guitar. The build quality is solid and spot on. In my research about the Comanche I don't think I read a negative review. The reviews also said that the Tribute series is built as well as the American builds and has the same USA hardware and USA pickups. The z-coil pickups are much more quiet than my Seymour Duncan single coils in my Lite Ash Strat. The Z pickups
    Good deals with: shrouded, inscho, outtahear, 57GLDTP, K-Bizzle, mikeSF, Zemmy, Woody_in_MN, dcindc, Mike Fiasco, adlo76, bdhn, monsterbot, newbuilder, stratedge09, TomCray, ss454Originally Posted by Mike FiascoLike most hipsters, zombies are artfully disshevelled on the outside and dead on the inside.

Nice figure on the neck, and nice tint as well. Looks like a keeper!

BTW - are those still MIK, or are the made in China these days?
    You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. -- Joe Strummer

Comment

A few more.

In the babies room.

My son in the background patiently playing while I took a few pictures.
      Good deals with: shrouded, inscho, outtahear, 57GLDTP, K-Bizzle, mikeSF, Zemmy, Woody_in_MN, dcindc, Mike Fiasco, adlo76, bdhn, monsterbot, newbuilder, stratedge09, TomCray, ss454Originally Posted by Mike FiascoLike most hipsters, zombies are artfully disshevelled on the outside and dead on the inside.

Comment

Very nice guitar

I am on the lookout for a USA G&L Comanche - They are indeed great guitars.
        http://www.reverbnation.com/davidandthetinydaggers
        http://www.guitarfugue.com/
        http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=913992
        http://www.myspace.com/davidandthetinydaggers

member of the G&L Militia

Comment

whoa MAMA! i can't believe that is a tribute model. that might be the nicest MIK guitar i've ever seen.
          Post Modern Southern Sonic Prepared Concrete Annihilation.

Comment

Nice figure on the neck, and nice tint as well. Looks like a keeper!

BTW - are those still MIK, or are the made in China these days?

Thanks. Mine was made in Indonesia. I got it last week from a dealer (Northwoods Music, nice people) all the way in Minnesota.

Comment

very nice! congrats!
              SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

Beautiful sunburst.
                HNGD!

EG
                We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

Very nice guitar

I am on the lookout for a USA G&L Comanche - They are indeed great guitars.

The dealer I bought mine from said that he is having a hard time selling the USA models when people come in and play them side by side. I like buying USA, but not for an extra $1500 when the products are nearly identical.

For that matter, I have a MIM Strat that I like better than any strat I have picked up including my Lite Ash and all the American models I have played.

Comment

Tiger stripe and bling-bling pickguard.

Ain't anyone going to give this man some boobs?

Comment

Tiger stripe and bling-bling pickguard.

Ain't anyone going to give this man some boobs?

LOL! Nice choice Mike. But was that for me or for you? Who cares, I'll take it.

Comment

Very nice. 4 paws up from Lamb Chop.

GOOD DEALS WITH: ae3753, Buckethead99, CBH5150, DCinDC, Dogfish, Drawdeep, Drivelikejoewho, Duderanimous, Jelloman, Marc758, Newbuilder, Orion23, PunkKitty, Scottd23, tomh777, Weather.at.8, Xupernaut, Zemmy

SPAM: HOHNER TB1 - $225

MY MUSIC:
                        My Music Sampler

Originator of the "can I get free picks with that " phrase TM 2011

Originally Posted by Bob411

Nice ass Mrs. Woody.

Comment

LOL! Nice choice Mike. But was that for me or for you? Who cares, I'll take it.

DON'T LOOK AT HER, SHE'S ALL MINE!

Comment

nice score!! gratz!!
                            Equiperate EMGers club
                            Proud member of the Squier Army
                            HCEG Geezer Brigade Trooper #352

HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

Zemmyfest II
                            October 8, 2011

Originally Posted by The Pope

Obama is conservative...got anything else?

Comment

At first I thought it'd be the US model, judging from the neck. The one on my old ASAT Tribute ain't that nice!

Congrats, this has also been on my GAS list for a very long time, before they made a Tribute model. Tempting
                              -- Rainer

My Guitars (Updated 2011/07/02) • Schecter Society • Yamaholic • Reverend Congregation
                              G&L Militia • Captain in the SG Army in Rock 'N' Roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia
                              Beware of my Teutonic Terror

Comment

Working...
                              X