Fernandes guitars???

cheepgeetars

• Members

i have the neck of an '84 le-1 (strat copy), the first revised headstock version they put out after fender bitched about the headstock copying. fernandes only added a tiny bit of material to the headstock, giving the "ball" a bit of a corner. fender didn't like that either and since then fernandes has used funky looking el-cheapo headstocks.

DSCF0040.jpg

apparently you can sand down the little angle and have an exact copy of the fender headstock.

but yeah. great neck. if you can find one of these 80's strat copies, regardless of headstock shape, pick it up.

• Members

got some...a P-Project Akira Wada model, a LP type that I believe was custom ordered `cause I`ve never seen another like it, two The Functions from the `80s...one double bucker bound top tele type the other an order made super strat, stamped order made in the pocket that came with the original card saying it retailed for 138,000 yen at the time...all are real nice guitars. The LP is freakin` amazing and they are all keepers...the P-project is from their custom shop, or as close as they came to one. I love my Fernandes guitars though I`ve seen a lot of low end stuff in and around town as well, saw some The Functions with MI Taiwan stickers so careful out there. They made some excellent guitars in the `80s, in my opinion right up there with other brands that have been caught up in the feeding frenzy over the past few years.

• Members

I know I miss my 87 Fernandes revolver. Great super strat. The mid to high level guitars are great bang for the buck. Only the very lowest of their line (x series) have I experienced fit/finish issues and sharp frets but not really any worse than 98% of guitars coming from whatever factory is churning them out. My Revolver was MIJ.

• Members

Had a Ferd bass once, it had a really nice kinda chunky P bass style bolt on neck, with excellent fretwork on a maple board, reverse headstiock, telecaster (guitar) shaped body, P/J pickups.

It was a solid, very fine bass. As good as if not better than any Fender in the same price range ($500-$700). I think it cost me around $350 new in 1995, dealer cost. Wound up selling it duing a clean the heard phase.

Im sure the guitars are just as good.

• Members

They're not all MIJ and haven't been for quite a while.

Nope. My Ravelle is MIC, later ones were MIK, then production was moved back to China. Somewhat oddly, the Chinese Ravelles have a better rep. I haven't played the MIK ones so I don't know, personally. Just going from what I've seen from folks online who've played both. I just know mine is really well-made and sounds great.

• Members

The Japanese Strat and Tele copies from the 90's were absolutely fantastic and have held their value incredibly well (even sold for more than new for a short period). I have a their Tele Thinline hanging on the wall in desperate need of some work that I need to get too ASAP (been saying that for years :facepalm:).

• Members

I used to own a Revolver Pro, which I bought mainly for the sustainer. The sustainer was great - I really liked using that. As a guitar, I'd say it was "fair" - not bad, not great, but decent. The neck was a little chunkier than I usually like but I got used to it. I don't know what kind of wood they used for the body, but it seemed a bit soft and was more prone to dings than my other guitars. The main thing I didn't like about it was the Floyd Rose trem. I like tremelo guitars but am not a fan of the Floyd. I got mine on a blow out sale for a very good price and it was worth having, but I eventually sold it and installed a Sustainiac in my PRS Santana SE. But overall, I think Fernandes makes some very nice guitars and I've read great things from people who own them, especially the higher end models.

• Members

i have the neck of an '84 le-1 (strat copy), the first revised headstock version they put out after fender bitched about the headstock copying. fernandes only added a tiny bit of material to the headstock, giving the "ball" a bit of a corner. fender didn't like that either and since then fernandes has used funky looking el-cheapo headstocks.

DSCF0040.jpg
apparently you can sand down the little angle and have an exact copy of the fender headstock.

but yeah. great neck. if you can find one of these 80's strat copies, regardless of headstock shape, pick it up.

Wow I really like the shape of that headstock.

• Members

I think I've owned about 10 Fernandes/Burny guitars over the last 5 years or so. I've got three right now, all oddities. One's an old neck through strat with an active preamp, one's a steinberger copy, and the other is a top end kiyoshi sig model. looks like this:

http://www.mbok.jp/item/item_268408596.html

For me, Fernandes guitars are the ultimate cure for tht kind of nondescript GAS that pops up from time to time, when you just think you might need something new to shake things up a bit. There's always a unique sig model or some oddity floating around the second hand shops for cheap.

• Members

I think I've owned about 10 Fernandes/Burny guitars over the last 5 years or so. I've got three right now, all oddities. One's an old neck through strat with an active preamp, one's a steinberger copy, and the other is a top end kiyoshi sig model. looks like this:

oh yeah, those are nice...seen a few but always priced higher than I wanted to pay. Maybe one day I`ll get lucky.

Archived