Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

johnnyl80

• Members

I've been offered one of these in a trade - it looks just like this one (Google pic):

6418796155ebafd407.jpg

Never played a Double Cut one, so: What do you think about this particular model? How does it compare to a regular LP Studio?

... And doesn't the one in the pic belong to Krashpad?!? :D

(Thanks!)

• Members

I've been offered one of these in a trade - it looks just like this one (Google pic):

6418796155ebafd407.jpg

Never played a Double Cut one, so: What do you think about this particular model? How does it compare to a regular LP Studio?

... And doesn't the one in the pic belong to Krashpad?!?
:D

(Thanks!)

Haha, yes, I 'd know that kitchen floor anywhere. That's my Cherie.

HHVDBKactionComposite.jpg

I like the lightness of the model, compared to the Studio or other singlecuts. I haven't owned a Studio (I do have a singlecut Classic, and used to have a singlecut Special), but my rhythm player/lead singer at church bought a singlecut Studio a month or so ago that I have played a few times recently, and weight-wise it's a log, comparatively.

They are 24-frets, which slightly moves the neck pickup, which I've seen some complain about, but I can't really tell much difference. The obvious plus is the availability of those super-high notes, but I don't usually go above 22 anyhow, so the 24-fret neck is a non-issue either way for me.

They have a non-compensated (no PRS-style wiggle-waggle on top) wrap bridge which some also see as a downside, intonation wise. There are aftermarket replacement Badass-style adjustable wrap bridges that can be used instead (I have one such bridge on a Gretsch Special Jet) if the lack of fine-tuning the intonation bugs you. It's not been a problem for me, and in fact many see wrap bridges as directing the string action into the body more efficiently for more sustain. Again, this is something that, to me anyhow, is very very subtle to the point where I honestly can't say if it's really true or just a self-fulfilling prophecy/placebo effect type thing.

I'd prefer a 4-pot vol/tone setup, but I have plenty of Teles with just a master vol/tone, so no big whup. The pickup selector switch is in an odd location if you're used to singlecuts exclusively, but I'm pretty adaptable in that regard, I have a Hamer Special where the switch is in a roughly similar location. Some people can adapt to where it is more easily than others, so it's good to try them out to see how much, if at all, it bugs you, unless (like me) you're used to switching around between lots of different guitars with different layouts and know it won't be an issue.

Pickup-wise the 490/498 is/was kinda the red-headed stepchild of the Gibson line that didn't get a lot of respect, but again this is not a problem for me. A lot of people forget that the 490/498 was and still is the pairing used on the "top of the line" Les Paul Custom. It's sort of a "hot PAF" style alnico that purists might not dig for more trad styles, but in the pic above I'm playing it in my side roots rock band, and I didn't get any complaints. In fact, I used the Studio Doublecut on one of my favorite studio recordings of a mellow lead with that band, using the neck pickup, that I think turned out very nicely. I'm pretty sure I have it uploaded somewhere, and if I can find it or re-upload it I'll post a link later. Obviously, like the wrap bridge issue, if the 490/498 is not to your liking, a pup swap is not that huge a deal.

One big upside is that since these do not register as a "real" LP to many, the price is usually considerably less than that of singlecut Studios. Honestly I've always liked doublecuts at least as much if not more than singlecuts, and I'd rather own the DC.

Fwiw, ymmv.

• Members

OK, here's a page where you can download the song I mentioned above, "Zombie Man" written by Hoyt Walston and recorded by Hoyt and the Hotheads. Our bassist was in hospital at the time, so I play both bass and lead on the track. As stated, the long clean solo, as well as other solo lines throughout, was recorded with the neck pickup of a Les Paul Studio DC.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bsp48i

Use the orange-colored download button at the bottom of the page, not the gray buttons at the top. Let me know if you have any problems with the download, if you're interested in it.

Ciao!

• Members

It's been a few years since I've played one, but I remember it being different than an LP Studio, but not by much, and just as desirable. I'd probably get a replacement bridge so I can set intonation correctly (I don't think those wraparounds will keep a wound 3rd in tune), but I'd love the guitar. The double cut body, to me, is awesome.

• Members

I've never played one, but I have always thought those were uber sexy guitars. I just like the LP double cut body shape a lot. Sweet looking guitar indeed. If the trade doesn't work out pm me brian, I might be interested in a purchase if you're selling.

• Members

I've never played one, but I have always thought those were uber sexy guitars. I just like the LP double cut body shape a lot. Sweet looking guitar indeed. If the trade doesn't work out pm me brian, I might be interested in a purchase if you're selling.

Chiro, I wasn't going to trade mine to Johnny, the one he's interested in just looks like mine. I really like mine a lot so I don't want to sell it, but I will have a lot of upcoming medical bills this next year, so if I need to sell it, I'll definitely get back to you!

• Members

Thanks guys for the inputs, BK especially :thu: (nice tune BTW!)

There must be a little misundertanding here: I've been asked to trade for one of these here in Italy, I just used Krashpad's pic for reference! ;)

EDIT: BK beat me to it...

... More specifically I've been asking a couple of shops here to trade my Tele... I've narrowed it down to two options basically, and I'm totally undecided; I can either add 300

• Members

Unless I'm mistaken, that LP DC is a version that was only made for a couple of years in the '90s ('95-'97). It has a chambered body, which accounts for the weight difference that Brian mentions in his post above. I installed SD Phat Cats in place of the 490/498 combo and put on a compensated wraparound bridge. Now the guitar is my regular, everyday go-to instrument on the stand in my office/studio. I love it!

Archived