Gibson's best designed guitar?

docjeffrey

• Members

I love this ES339. Mine is from 2007 and by a fluke of nature, I bought it NOS from Musician's Friend for $1259 during a crazy Labor Day sale a couple of years back. At the very last minute when the savings was up to 30%, this Heritage Cherry beauty appeared out of nowhere. It was marked as a scratch and dent because the Gibson logo on the case was not evenly applied.

Just like my ES335, this one took me some time to warm up to. Now, it's one of the top 5 in my collection for a lot of reasons--primarily tone.

I think it's one of Gibson's best designs. It's more versatile than a solid body, but unlike other guitars with air inside, it's exceptionally feedback resistant. Upper fret access is great, and the 60's neck is comfortable. The compact body not only sounds great, but it's lightweight and comfortable to play.

My ES335 is great too. It's a bit moodier with slightly darker tone. The notes take more time to bloom and there's less definition in the low end and it weighs almost as much as a Les Paul. So the 339 edges it out ever so slightly for the kind of music that I play. Next month I'll probably change my mind and fall in love with my 335 all over again.

I wonder what the 339 would sound like with a set of TV Jones Powertrons?

Let's see your pics of some cool semis. Any brand will do. Just so they qualify as SEMI hollow (solid center blocks or carved backs/tops with hollow chambers).

339_b.jpg

339_f.jpg

339_d.jpg

339_a.jpg

339_e.jpg

339_c.jpg

By the way, these photos were taken with a relatively inexpensive 14 megapixel Canon SX210 pocket camera ($249). It can be setup to operate fully manually if you like that sort of thing.

410qYKCsBjL._AA300_PIbundle-1,TopRight,0

• Members

By the way, the only things that I dislike about the 339--and it's pretty nitpicky--are the tuners. I'd rather have the smaller, more vintage style tuners with the press-in bushings like the historic Les Pauls:

lespaulheadstock.jpg

They look more elegant than the bigger tuners with the washers and nuts on the face of the headstock.

• Members

I've only ever played a Les Paul Studio, but I loved it. It felt nice and played great, not mention sounded awesome. I've played a ES335-like hollow body but I couldn't get on with it. Tiny arms, you see. Perhaps standing, I'd have been in a better position to try it.

• Members

I've only ever played a Les Paul Studio, but I loved it. It felt nice and played great, not mention sounded awesome. I've played a ES335-like hollow body but I couldn't get on with it. Tiny arms, you see. Perhaps standing, I'd have been in a better position to try it.

The 339 might be perfect for you then. Or a Fender '72 Thinline if you want something a bit different from your studio.

• Members

Arent the chambered LPs pretty much semi hollows anyway?

I think they are
:idk:

Feature-Chambered-Body.jpg

That said, ES 339s are sexy as hell
:love:
But can they do the br00tz?

Gretsch Duo Jets are kind of like that. They have hollow chambers which is great because you gotta have a Bigsby with a Gretsch and they add a lot of weight.

• Members

I'd take a 335 - partially because I actually like working that edge of feedback thing and partially because I personally find them more comfortable to sit with. That said, the 339 is a lovely design.

This is my poison as semis go - it's light, have a fantastic neck and a sound that while definetely in the 335 camp have a personality of its own

005.jpg

• Members

I love this ES339. Mine is from 2007 and by a fluke of nature, I bought it NOS from Musician's Friend for $1259 during a crazy Labor Day sale a couple of years back. At the very last minute when the savings was up to 30%, this Heritage Cherry beauty appeared out of nowhere. It was marked as a scratch and dent because the Gibson logo on the case was not evenly applied.

Just like my ES335, this one took me some time to warm up to. Now, it's one of the top 5 in my collection for a lot of reasons--primarily tone.

I think it's one of Gibson's best designs. It's more versatile than a solid body, but unlike other guitars with air inside, it's exceptionally feedback resistant. Upper fret access is great, and the 60's neck is comfortable. The compact body not only sounds great, but it's lightweight and comfortable to play.

My ES335 is great too. It's a bit moodier with slightly darker tone. The notes take more time to bloom and there's less definition in the low end and it weighs almost as much as a Les Paul. So the 339 edges it out ever so slightly for the kind of music that I play. Next month I'll probably change my mind and fall in love with my 335 all over again.

I wonder what the 339 would sound like with a set of TV Jones Powertrons?

Let's see your pics of some cool semis. Any brand will do. Just so they qualify as SEMI hollow (solid center blocks or carved backs/tops with hollow chambers).

339_b.jpg

339_f.jpg

339_d.jpg

339_a.jpg

339_e.jpg

339_c.jpg

By the way, these photos were taken with a relatively inexpensive 14 megapixel Canon SX210 pocket camera ($249). It can be setup to operate fully manually if you like that sort of thing.

410qYKCsBjL._AA300_PIbundle-1,TopRight,0

NICE pair of guitars you have there!!! Love the colors too!

BTW, the "hood" doesn't look too shabby. I would imagine you don' have any problem with neighbors asking you to turn down. :lol:

Archived