Slash wah vs. Crybaby 535q

Yer Blues

• Members

Does anyone have any experience with either of these wahs?

I've had a Crybaby for about 15 years and have been relatively happy with it, but I think it is time to upgrade to something with a larger range. I picked up a used Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Wah about 5 months ago and I'm just not happy with it. It is far to noisy for my taste, the fuzz is useless, and the scoop range seems more limited than the crybaby.

The high gain distortion circuit in the Slash wah seems kind of pointless to me. I've checked out some recent clips of Slash and he is using the wah. It sounds good. The 535Q seems to be available used at a better price and the fact you can dial in your wah sound is appealing to me.... unless all the sounds you dial in just suck.

• Members

I used the 535Q for a while when I was gigging. I really liked it. Nice range of tones, reliable, no complaints.

No experience with the Slash wah.

There are a ton of 535Qs on the used market. If I had to decide on something else I'd have to step it up to a Fullton or something.

• Members

The only things I can tell you are:

I hate regular cry babies. The noisiest, tone-sucking-est pedal I've used. Maybe the one I had was messed up. :idk:

Don't know about the slash.

I do know that El Jefe from NOFX uses a 535Q, I've seen them live several times, and it always sounds great. If you want a wah to go with fast, aggressive tunes, I'd look no further.

• Members

I have an old 535 (got it in '95 or '96), and I really liked it, but it noticeably sucks tone. If you adjust your amp right, it might not bother you. I never looked at the Slash wah - none of the wahs with built-in distortion appeal to me. I prefer to use the overdrive pedals I already like. I use a BBE Wah, and while it is awesome and I love it, I don't think it's the best for super-high-gain.

• Members

If I wanted a wah, I probably wouldn't even shop around. There's a used one on the bay with a BIN of $90 right now.

I'm in no rush. I'm going to give it a month and see if I can steal a used. If I can get my buddy to pull the trigger on the Hendrix Fuzz wah I have for like $25 then maybe I can get the 535Q for $50 or so. $90 is a fair price, but it doesn't seem like a complete steal.

BTW... is it easy to get velcro off pedals? I have a very small pedal board and keep the wah off the board.... it doesn't need velcro.

• Members

I'm in no rush. I'm going to give it a month and see if I can steal a used. If I can get my buddy to pull the trigger on the Hendrix Fuzz wah I have for like $25 then maybe I can get the 535Q for $50 or so. $90 is a fair price, but it doesn't seem like a complete steal.

BTW...
is it easy to get velcro off pedals?
I have a very small pedal board and keep the wah off the board.... it doesn't need velcro.

In short, no. It's not gonna damage anything, it's just so gosh darn sticky and it's prickly so it's not fun to squeeze really hard.

• Members

Had a Slash Wah for 3 months, then it "broke". Gave it to a buddy for $50 and he fixed it - was just poor soldering. Overall, I wasn't overly impressed with it. It's a good wah, for sure... but nothing real special. The overdrive thing was pretty much useless for me, as it was a bitch to try to kick it on playing live and didn't even sound that great with it on anyway. I think it sounded best in front of an overdriven amp.

Hope this helps!

Archived