I did it again... Twice! NGD! (ESP and Gibson content)

Hozze

• Members

So, always wanted a Gibson Flying V. Finally decided to get one (even though I already bought 3 guitars during the autumn :facepalm:), and being a sucker for ebony boards I went with the white one (the others have rosewood boards).

Pimped it out rather heavily; Bareknuckle Miracle Man/Nailbomb combo with black covers, TonePros locking bridge and tailpiece, Sperzel locking tuners. I also found this funky metal pickguard on ebay that I had to have. So far so good, this was a planned purchase after all, even though it cost a little more then I had planned.

Then today I saw an ESP Eclipse at a local guitar store. Always liked ESPs, kinda figured I'd get one someday. This was the CTS 1 FT, meaning the more Gibson-like horn in full LP thickness (55mm). It was used, but in sweet condition.

So out of the blue I start thinking that I should buy it. Just like that. God knows I don't need more guitars, I have 9 already. And it's not exactly a cheap guitar, even slightly used. But it's gorgeous. Ebony board as well. Binding both front and back. I tell myself that should I need to sell it I won't make much of a loss, just look at it as an investment.

15 minutes later I walk out with it in a nice ESP hardcase, slightly confused and wondering "what did I just do?".

I think I might need professional help... :facepalm:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331484[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331486[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331485[/ATTACH]

I'm afraid some washed-out cell phone pics are all you get, for some reason I can't afford a proper camera... :lol:

• Members

i wish white V's had white headstocks, it never bothers me when i see it in person... just in pictures for some reason (is that weird?)

sweet ESP, man, thats a sweet find.

Thanks guys, real happy with both of them. Great guitars!

And no, I'm the same way! White headstock with a black truss rod cover would look nicer.

• Members

you've turned that into a really interesting V, fantastic pickup choice, i bet it sounds like a musical earthquake. The pickguard is a cool one, i've never seen them before. I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. Nice Eclipse too, those things are so to play.

• Members

Yeah the pickguard won't be to everyone's taste. I really dig it though, offsets all the black hardware nicely I think.

Bareknuckles are just awesome. The Miracle Man is easily my favorite bridge pickup ever.

It's like a warmer, more organic sounding EMG 81, really tight bass response with cutting highs that never go shrill. I also have it in one of my Explorers.

I also have a Warpig in the bridge of another Explorer, also a beast of a pup, but darker and more "sludgy". I've tried the Mule, Cold Sweat and Nailbomb in the neck position, all great pups!

• Members

Also, Bare Knuckles are amazing, aren't they? Everyone always says "They're too expensive, you should get something else..." but every time I go tone taste-testing (ie. just screwing around and comparing sound clips online) I always come back to BK and there's this voice inside me that just KNOWS they're the {censored}ing BEST pickups I've ever heard. Seriously, I'm not a humbucker guy or a metal guy but they put quality into everything they do and I am sure I know why you chose them. :):thu: Happy playing!

• Members

Also, Bare Knuckles are amazing, aren't they? Everyone always says "They're too expensive, you should get something else..." but every time I go tone taste-testing (ie. just screwing around and comparing sound clips online) I always come back to BK and there's this voice inside me that just KNOWS they're the {censored}ing BEST pickups I've ever heard. Seriously, I'm not a humbucker guy or a metal guy but they put quality into everything they do and I am sure I know why you chose them.
:):thu:
Happy playing!

That's something I'll never understand. Sure they're expensive if you're looking for pups for some $200 beater, but why would you compromise over $100 or so on the one part that's going to define your tone the most (IMO) if you've already spent a grand or two on the guitar? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Archived