Anyone ever used a nut like this?

jr_vw2

• Members

In practice why would you swap out a locking Floyd for a roller? The purpose of the locking nut is to keep the strings from popping out of the slots and from slackening the winds on the post when you dive bomb.

I'm guessing if you've repurposed a neck from a Floyd guitar it would be of some use? Never seen one like this, sorry OP, but it does sound like Floydy measurements.

Edit: was writing at the same time.

• Members

You wouldn't just be able to swap that nut in place of a locking nut. With a locking nut the string's last contact is still at the very front edge of the nut. That roller nut would have the contact point a couple (at least) MM from the front edge. You would need to remove some more of the fretboard.

• Members

What earvana thing is that? Linky? Thanks!

I was sure they made a compensated nut that was Floyd sized but not locking, just open, but now I can't find it. All is not lost, though; I may have combined it in my special brain with the Ebanol nut. How's this strike you? I like it more than that rolly thing.

• Members

I have one like in the OP floating around here somewhere... bought it on a whim and never bothered to put it on a guitar :facepalm:

As I recall, it should fit in the place of a Floyd-type nut pretty well... except for the problem Webwarmiller mentioned above (which, thinking back, it probably why I never installed it).

• Members

I recently put a Floyd neck on a non Floyd geetar for a customer. I just made up a Gibby style nut for it out of Corian. Made it wide enough to look like it was meant to be that way. Worked fine.

As already mentioned, the roller part of this nut looks like it would move the contact point so far back that intonation would not happen.

• Members

I was sure they made a compensated nut that was Floyd sized but not locking, just open, but now I can't find it. All is not lost, though; I may have combined it in my special brain with the Ebanol nut. How's
this
strike you? I like it more than that rolly thing.

You sir, just made my day. I've been working on a project for a friend who had a very nice Strat that he wants de-Floyded. This is exactly what I need to finish the neck. :thu:

• Members

You sir, just made my day. I've been working on a project for a friend who had a very nice Strat that he wants de-Floyded. This is exactly what I need to finish the neck.
:thu:

All good and fine, but 30 bucks!?!. Ouch!!! Guaran-phucking-tee you'll need to massage it to make it work (no comments about massaging nuts, please!). Just make one from scratch.

• Members

All good and fine, but 30 bucks!?!. Ouch!!! Guaran-phucking-tee you'll need to massage it to make it work (no comments about massaging nuts, please!). Just make one from scratch.

All Parts site always lists the full retail price. If you do a search for the part no., you can usually find it cheaper. For instance:

http://www.guitarpartssite.com/Jackson-Guitar-Neck-s/223.htm

• Members

You sir, just made my day. I've been working on a project for a friend who had a very nice Strat that he wants de-Floyded. This is exactly what I need to finish the neck.
:thu:

I was thinking about that ebanol nut too for 2 guitars i'm de-floyding. but then i thought, why not just take the top locking part off? it always seemed fine to do that when tuning up from the headstock tuners so why not all the time?

• Members

I was thinking about that ebanol nut too for 2 guitars i'm de-floyding. but then i thought, why not just take the top locking part off? it always seemed fine to do that when tuning up from the headstock tuners so why not all the time?

:idea:

Have you tried it yet? Seems reasonable, and much much cheaper.

• Members

I had thought about that too. I think that the initial tuning up would only cause so much friction against the metal nut before you locked it down, but if you left it that way, the repeated friction with constant tuning, string bends, etc., would cause a weak point in the string. Maybe not though. :idk:

Also, it's ugly as sin. That's probably the real reason for me.

Archived