Access to gear

Jersey Jack

• Members

I find myself in a difficult position lately: My habit of going to Guitar Center and checking out gear is starting to become a lot less interesting. Why? Well, because stores like Guitar Center are so focused on moving gear out the door that their stores are stuffed with cheap starter packages and other gear designed to appeal to the masses.

An example: Being a rootsy-country player, I'm very interested in the Fender 59 Bassman Reissue. This is not a boutique amp from a small company, but a legendary amp used by many of the greats. But it's impossible for me to try one out. I live in central NJ, and when I looked on Guitar Center's website I learned that the closet bassman is in Fredericksburg, VA. None, apparently, even in NYC!

The same thing happened to me a while back when looking into Nord keyboards--which is a reasonably popular brand. Nothing. But there are skidloads of Squier guitars and Line 6 amps. :mad:

I suppose that if I'm ever to get a Bassman I'll have to order it online, without ever getting the chance to play one. The age-old wisdom of try before you buy appears to be doomed.

• Members

As salesmen have told me multiple times, they'll order it for you, and you don't have to commit to buy. That's fine if it's something you're reasonable sure you want to purchase, but if you want to try out 3-4 amps, none of which they stock, then that makes it a little more difficult. I've talked to the manager at my local Sam Ash, and he was lamenting the fact that good stuff doesn't ever move. I was buying a Vox cabinet on clearance, and he was saying that the cabinet sat on the sales floor for over a year, and meanwhile he moved tons of cheap gear (Line6, etc.). He had some sweet Marshall amps in the same category. No market for it. All people are buying is the low-end starter stuff many of us here aren't interested in trying.

• Members

The brick & mortar retailers make a ton of money off selling the low-end gear, it's hard to blame them for doing what they can to stay in business.

I find it very hard to believe that none of the New York guitar shops have a Fender Bassman in stock, however.

• Members

I find myself in a difficult position lately: My habit of going to Guitar Center and checking out gear is starting to become a lot less interesting. Why? Well, because stores like Guitar Center are so focused on moving gear out the door that their stores are stuffed with cheap starter packages and other gear designed to appeal to the masses.

An example: Being a rootsy-country player, I'm very interested in the Fender 59 Bassman Reissue. This is not a boutique amp from a small company, but a legendary amp used by many of the greats. But it's impossible for me to try one out. I live in central NJ, and when I looked on Guitar Center's website I learned that the closet bassman is in Fredericksburg, VA. None, apparently, even in NYC!

The same thing happened to me a while back when looking into Nord keyboards--which is a reasonably popular brand. Nothing. But there are skidloads of Squier guitars and Line 6 amps.
:mad:

I suppose that if I'm ever to get a Bassman I'll have to order it online, without ever getting the chance to play one. The age-old wisdom of
try before you buy
appears to be doomed.

If you don't mind coming into NYC, I highly recommend you check out Main Drag Music in Brooklyn. All sorts of awesome used gear.

• Members

Yeah, in the heat of my rant I didn't acknowledge the pressures felt by retailers in the current economy. I'm not necessarily blaming Guitar Center, but it's a frustrating situation for those of us who are beyond Squier and Line 6. About a year ago I was lucky enough to walk into my local GC and demo a Delixe Reverb against a Princeton Reverb. Those days are apparently gone.

And I'm not sure I'm comfortable asking them to ship an amp I may not even buy to the local store.

What I'd really like to do is demo a Bassman alongside the Bassman clone from Victoria and perhaps a similar Dr. Z. amp, but I don't think that sort of thing was ever possible.

• Members

The same thing happened to me a while back when looking into Nord keyboards--which is a reasonably popular brand. Nothing. But there are skidloads of Squier guitars and Line 6 amps.
:mad:

I suppose that if I'm ever to get a Bassman I'll have to order it online, without ever getting the chance to play one. The age-old wisdom of
try before you buy
appears to be doomed.

You may want to contact Jim at Guitar Bar in Hoboken or Bobby at Colts Neck Custom Guitars for your needs..................

Archived