Anyone ever glue a bolt-on neck into its pocket?

rusholmeruffian

• Members

I've heard about people like Merle Haggard and Ritchie Blackmore having this done on their guitars to increase sustain, but I have a more down-to-earth reason--namely, an otherwise perfectly serviceable (and actually quite beautiful) neck that, for some complicated reasons, cannot be bolted into a body using the standard Fender bolt pattern.

I probably wouldn't do this any time soon, but I'd like to give it a try.

• Members

I don't really care about the impact on sustain; arguably, a glued-in joint has less than a properly done bolt-on, because the two pieces of wood have a layer of glue between them instead of being in direct contact. I actually kinda prefer the sound of guitars with less sustain, anyway, like Jazzmasters and Rickenbackers.

Time to get a body and a couple more big C clamps, I suppose.

• Members

Never done it, but there's no reason why it couldn't be done. Don't believe for a second it will increase sustain, however. With that said, if you can get that neck in the pocket to glue it, then I can't imagine why it couldn't be bolted in there as well. Any existing holes can always be drilled/doweled.

• Members

I have done it several times. I read about it on a different forum, then a couple years later my nephew dropped one of those Dean Evo guitars down some stairs onto concrete. He was going to throw it away, as it had landed on the neck and pushed it forward pulling it out of its neck pocket and stripping the threads and splintering wood in the pocket. The guitar was amazingly tough and still looked good, and i put the pieces back together and still used the neck screws but I added a thin layer of epoxy to the neck pocket when I tightened it. Still holds and plays great, has great sustain. The glue didnt hurt the sustain but that cheapy already sustained like crazy prior to the glue. ----- Since then I have done it to a few other cheapies that have breaks, etc. However, I always use the neck screws and just use the epoxy as an addition. I wouldnt want to use glue in place of the neck screws.

• Members

Never done it, but there's no reason why it couldn't be done. Don't believe for a second it will increase sustain, however. With that said, if you can get that neck in the pocket to glue it, then I can't imagine why it couldn't be bolted in there as well. Any existing holes can always be drilled/doweled.

It'll bolt, just not in anything resembling a standard Fender pattern. It's been doweled and redrilled a few times, too.

• Members

Having built both, you have to realize the difference between a set-neck pocket and a bolt-neck pocket. A bolt neck can (and some would argue, should) have at least a tiny air-gap around the sides and bottom. A set-neck pocket should be a near air-tight as possible, since you don't want just the single planed bottom surface of the pocket holding all that tension (about 220# with 9/42 strings) in shear.

If you're going to do it, you're going to need to ensure the pocket is tight all the way around, and glue it sides and bottom, IMHO.

Larry

• Members

Having built both, you have to realize the difference between a set-neck pocket and a bolt-neck pocket. A bolt neck can (and some would argue, should) have at least a tiny air-gap around the sides and bottom. A set-neck pocket should be a near air-tight as possible, since you don't want just the single planed bottom surface of the pocket holding all that tension (about 220# with 9/42 strings) in shear.

If you're going to do it, you're going to need to ensure the pocket is tight all the way around, and glue it sides and bottom, IMHO.

Noted. This is a pretty standard-sized Strat neck so it fits snugly in properly-sized Strat bodies (i.e., with a slightly-smaller-than-spec 2-3/16" pocket).

Archived