Looking for a delay pedal - suggestions welcomed

Willyguitar

• Members

I want something fairly straightforward to use in some limited applications with our band, but with reasonable flexibility and of good sound quality. I don't want to spend more than about 70 or 80 quid. I've been looking at the following:

Digitech DDX

Electroharmonix Memory Boy - which also has Chorus rolled in.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated!

• Members

I'm very happy with my Line6 Echo Park, it's sort of a single stompbox version of the DL4, and it's got a ton of features packed into it. It has tap tempo, and a tape echo 'wiggle' emulator that I leave on all the time, makes it very warm/organic. There's an adjustable chorus sounding setting as well. I paid $96 USD for mine. If you're looking for flexibility, it might be worth a look.

• Members

I'm very happy with my Line6 Echo Park, it's sort of a single stompbox version of the DL4, and it's got a ton of features packed into it. It has tap tempo, and a tape echo 'wiggle' emulator that I leave on all the time, makes it very warm/organic. There's an adjustable chorus sounding setting as well. I paid $96 USD for mine. If you're looking for flexibility, it might be worth a look.

Seconded. Ever since they discontinued the tonecore series, you can pick up these pedals pretty cheap. Extremely nice sounding and very versatile... Just be aware that they do eat batteries very quickly, so a power-supply is a necessity.

• Members

I got a ton of different echo units including Boss units, Alesis, digitec, an actual Rolland tape echo, An older Mestro and memory man, an a bunch of others. For my light weight pedal board which consists of 4~5 pedals I threw one of these on there http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Stereo-Delay-Pedal-DD400/dp/B000RVZXHW Yea I know its a cheapie but it sounds good so I could care less. I got over my vanity many decades ago. If I want to flash someone I'll pull out some of the vintage stuff. I have three different pedal boards. One is loaded to the max and its mainly used in the studio. I have another for visiting guitarists which containms the basics and sound good for recording, then I have the third for giging around. The one I mentioned is a Boss clone and has true 24 bit sound so its crystal clean and quiet. It will adjust from a 3 second delay all the way up to reverb type reflection and it doesnt sound like crap with long delays like many echo units do. I've used one for the past 2 years with zero problems but its like anything else. You abuse it I'm sure you can screw it up. If anything the jacks arent the best quality But I'm a tech and can fix any of that stuff id it does fail. If you want something in a metal case then the Boss would be a good option. They're like three times the cost for the same parts in a metal box though.

You can also troll EBay and pick up an alesis midiverb or even a lexicon for $50. I use one in my recording rig running two fguitar amps and they sound OK. Rack units are a bitch to haul around though. if you want it on a pedal board you need a pedal. Just depends on what you want to spend

Archived