10" Speaker Shootout....Weber...WGS...Jensen...

steve_man

• Members

Okay, which speaker do you prefer? Just interested on your take regarding these different speakers...

[video=youtube;k-4PAOG63bI]

I'm interested to see which speaker you would pick, and why. I did not shoot this video, but found it to be an interesting compari

• Members

Thanks for posting that. I'm considering upgrading the speaker on my Pro Jr. and this was useful (although since all the amps tested here were 2x10s, I'm not sure it will translate directly). Anyway -- I also agree that to me the Eminence sounded the best.

• Members

I mean, this isn't really a comparison of the speakers as each of them seemed to be in a different amp, no? If that's the case, there's differences in tube bias, cap voltage, resistor variance and a whole string of tolerance differences that would effect the tone. If he really did just put a bunch of different speakers in a bunch of different amps, this is a bogus comparison, and more like "which amp sounds best."

:idk:

• Members

I mean, this isn't really a comparison of the speakers as each of them seemed to be in a different amp, no? If that's the case, there's differences in tube bias, cap voltage, resistor variance and a whole string of tolerance differences that would effect the tone. If he really did just put a bunch of different speakers in a bunch of different amps, this is a bogus comparison, and more like "which amp sounds best."

:idk:

I agree. The differences were really subtle (mainly due to the Youtube and the nature of the setup).

The WSG might excell in overdriven sounds. The main advantage of the NEO is the weight and the sound is not that different at the end.

• Members

Well, I'm not going to click on the button until I listen to them a few more times, but after two listenings, I'd say the "Weber". The Eminence has the most overall presence, but yet what you hear on the Warehouse sounds at first like it's a bit muffled or nasally, but it's bringing more warmth to the lower end and a deeper cabinet tone to the amp. The Weber seems to be a good balance of both of those attributes. But as I said above, I'd want to listen to them several more times. It be cool though.

Edit: Well, came back for another listen. At least through my PC speakers, I'm liking the Weber the best. Best combination of warmth and presence and the notes seem to bloom more than on the other speakers. But again, I'm hearing the most presence on the Eminence, but that's not necessarily what I think I'd want to emphasize on a Fender amp since I'd be hitting it more with single coil guitars anyway.

Here's a another speaker vid to mess with the minds.

[video=youtube;jWK0sa7tlfI]

• Members

I have 2 Weber 10S speakers - one Ceramic, one Alnico. The Ceramic was $30, Alnico $40

Both are great speakers from Weber's lowest cost "Signature" product line.

I have been interested in getting an Eminence Legend 12" for an external cab, but I have read too many conflicting posts. Some claim that Emi Legends are great speakers and others that claim Eminence Legend 1258s are stock in many Fender amps and lack highs and/or tight lows.

• Members

I have 2 Weber 10S speakers - one Ceramic, one Alnico. The Ceramic was $30, Alnico $40

I have been interested in getting an Eminence Legend 12" for an external cab, but I have read too many conflicting posts. Some claim that Emi Legends are great speakers and others that claim Eminence Legend 1258s are stock in many Fender amps and
lack highs and/or tight lows.

I have two variants of eminence legends and I think both of those accounts are off. Both have VERY present high ends and a tight round bass response. I like them, but I do think the high end may be too present for some setups.

• Members

I have been interested in getting an Eminence Legend 12" for an external cab, but I have read too many conflicting posts. Some claim that Emi Legends are great speakers and others that claim Eminence Legend 1258s are stock in many Fender amps and lack highs and/or tight lows.

See, my Fender Hot Rod had an Eminence speaker in it, but I'm not sure which one it is. Just did not have the sparkle that my older Hot Rod had (which had a factory Celestion in it). Picked up a Celestion 70/80, and it sounds better to my ears. I am curious about the Webers, though... Also wondering of an actual Eminence Legend would sound better...

• Members

Also wondering of an actual Eminence Legend would sound better...

This is where I get confused... I have read in several places that some Fender stock speakers are Fender-labeled Emi Legends - and Fender stock speakers are often looked down upon. At the same time, I've read accolades for the Emi Legend series.

It just goes to the old addage that half of what you read / hear is untrue. The key is figuring out which half.

• Members

See, my Fender Hot Rod had an Eminence speaker in it, but I'm not sure which one it is. Just did not have the sparkle that my older Hot Rod had (which had a factory Celestion in it). Picked up a Celestion 70/80, and it sounds better to my ears. I am curious about the Webers, though... Also wondering of an actual Eminence Legend would sound better...

They may have been legends, not sure what they used in those. I will say that my legends aren't as sparkly as I'd expected. The high end is there, but it's more in your face than a nice sparkly kind of tone.

• Members

This is where I get confused... I have read in several places that some Fender stock speakers are Fender-labeled Emi Legends - and Fender stock speakers are often looked down upon. At the same time, I've read accolades for the Emi Legend series.

It just goes to the old addage that half of what you read / hear is untrue. The key is figuring out which half.

I've heard that too, but I don't know what's true. There have been quite a few variations of speakers that carry the the legend name though and they may not be all be that similar. :idk:

• Members

1st vid: Eminence first , it doesn't sound unbelievable but sounds nice...like oxford speakers. Second WGS sounds woody and deep, I like it but it has a dominant character, somewhat sounds like one trick pony.

2nd vid : P12N sounds meaty and growly second gold alnico sounds like balanced and cleaner P12N, I like dirty though.

3rd : dont like the amps tone in general.

• Members

I chose Jenson Alnicos for my one 4X10" cab. gret tone from those but they werent cheap. The other 4X10" is a combination of speakers including some JBL's and a pair of Ovation speakers. Got those cheap but they sound good with the metal domes. the third 2X10" cab i have has a pair of vintage Utah speakers. They've seen better days and I've had to repair the surrounds but they just sound so good, I keep them around for a lightweight rig.

• Members

Celestion or Jensen are guitar speakers, the others should be used for something else .At least that is what the tests with the same amp confirm to me.

No wonder Handwired amps mainly stick to the same choice in speakers...

Jens for Tens ..Celestions for 12'' s.

• Members

Based on those four recorded examples, I'd say I like the Legends the best, but I wouldn't base a buying decision on that clip as there are too many unknowns... Age of the speakers, how well broken in the are etc... :idk:

Those are also pretty different speakers. Legends don't sound at all like the historic Jensens C/P series or the Weber 10A/10F series. The Warehouse 10" Veteran look like it's not very robust. I have a lot of faith in their 12" offerings, but I wouldn't buy the 10" Veteran.

Archived