Help on a new guitar - recommendations

samzadgan

• Members

So, i have been playing guitar for almost 15-20 years.

in this time, i have owned close to 6 guitars, and have all been guitars made for metal/hard rock...ie Humbuckers, humbuckers...and more humbuckers.

Recently i decided to start from scratch and bought a new Ibanez Iceman with 2 humbuckers, this thing is amazing, its got a great sound...its heavy, but i still love it, and i bought a Blackstar HT5 head and Cab.

What I'm looking for now is a guitar with a completely different tone to use when i the Iceman is just not right. I've been getting into blues and rock, and i want a guitar to mess around with. its not my main guitar and thus i dont want to spend much money on it, however if i do like the feel and i delve more into this music i may invest in a good guitar (close to same calibre as the ibanez) in the future.

So my needs:

- single coil pickups

- maple neck (never had this, and really want it - asthetic reasons mainly)

- classic look

- cost under

• Members

I would say while I am not a expect in anything it sounds like your needs match a Classic Vibe Tele or Strat. They always seem to get great review for the budget. I have messed with some that felt as good or better than some the more expensive fenders, though I don't know about how the guts stack up.

• Members

wow this white one is nice...i have to say the telecaster i tried had such a good feel to it...i mean, im sure the hardware is not as good as top of the line fenders, but you get what you pay for.

But since you guys think they are good guitars, i would consider getting either the white strat or tele and later on getting some proper fender pickups.

but whats the real difference between the normal classic vibe and the Simon Neil Strat?

• Members

The Classic Vibe 50s Strat is, IMHO, the best guitar in its price range and maybe a little higher. The Alnico II pickups sound great, too. In fact, I bought a loaded Classic Vibe pick guard and dropped it into a MIM Standard. They are well made, sound great, and easy to play. Very light, too.

• Moderators

wow this white one is nice...i have to say the telecaster i tried had such a good feel to it...i mean, im sure the hardware is not as good as top of the line fenders, but you get what you pay for.

But since you guys think they are good guitars, i would consider getting either the white strat or tele and later on getting some proper fender pickups.

but whats the real difference between the normal classic vibe and the Simon Neil Strat?

The Simon Neil has hybrid Alnico III and IV pickups where the white'un has straight Alnico IIIs

• Members

So today i played the strat classic vibe 50 and 60.

I think i still like the 50's more, the tone difference is obvious between the two...but the 50's is more to my taste. Also the 60's dont have maple neck which im really abig fan of. The conclusion was that these classic vibe guitars are amazing! So im sold...but what to get...tele or strat????

Positive about strat is tremelo bridge and the hugging body shape...tele looks so damn good and i like the chrome metal knobs over the plastic strat...as far as tone goes, both are beautiful in there own way and are completely differen to what i have now, so they are on par in that respect.

Those who have had both strat and tele's which one do you recommend?

Archived