Which would have the best build quality?

skdmrklcy

• Members

I am looking at a few different guitars and while they are different I have handled and liked them all. They are all around the same price, which is about 700ish which I can't go any more.

Fender Telecaster Custom HH FMT:

Pros:

I have a SKB Fender case that I can use. Has pickups that are ones I wanted to try, as well as coil tapping for versatility.

Cons:

Made in Indonesia, all the reviews I see are about a Koren made one.

Gibson Faded SG Special:

Pros:

Made in the USA, it is a Gibson. he pickups sound fine to me, they seem to get good reviews.

Cons:

Only comes with a bag, I would have to buy a case at some point. I am not sure how well the finish will hold up.

Jackson Dinky DK2T:

Pros:

Made in Japan. Comes with a case. Has a good set of Seymour Duncan pickups, and a nice flat fretboard.

Cons:

The pointy headstock is a little metal for my tastes, but it does feel good in the hands.

Any others I should be looking at? I am looking as I said with 700 as a ceiling for price. I want something with dual Humbuckers of good quality, with a flattish fretboard. Build quality is most important to me. I would prefer something US, Japan or Korean made, though I am not limiting myself.

• Members

Does it have to be new? If not, a used Hamer or Carvin would be on the list for me, as well as Yamaha SG's.

New, I'd also look at Reverend and the PRS SE line.

EDIT: I realized I never answered the original question. Of those, I would say that all could be hit or miss, but the build quality would be more consistent on the Dinky, then the Fender and then the Gibson.*

* - I owned a Korean HH fender and it was great - the blackout tele. Came really close to buying a Dinky once, but ended up with a used Yamaha - great decision. The Faded Gibsons really seem to be hit and miss to me. Enough so that I would avoid them.

• Members

Speaking from experience, all should have superb build quality. I have a MIA Washburn (even though I was certain it was chinese) and although it's 23 years old, it still works perfectly and plays perfectly even if the frets are pretty much gone. Japanese Fenders also seem pretty awesome, so I imagine Japanese Jackson guitars will have much the same quality. But for pure economy, in a blind side by side comparison, I couldn't tell you the difference in playability between a US and Asian Fender.

• Members

Picking blind, the Jackson would be built best. The Japanese don't play around assembling guitars. The Gibbie could be great, could have issues. I bought two new Gibsons the last couple of years (a 50s Tribute LPS and a Trad Pro), both have had cosmetic flaws, and the far more expensive Pro won't intonate right at the highest range of the e and B strings. I would expect the Indonesian Fender to be competently, if unremakably assembled, but I would be suspicious of the hardware and electronics, which might be picked to hit an aggressive price point. Fine if you want a Tele, but it's less of a deal if it needs pots right out of the box, and a bridge and pickups within a year.

• Members

I would expect the Indonesian Fender to be competently, if unremakably assembled, but I would be suspicious of the hardware and electronics, which might be picked to hit an aggressive price point. Fine if you want a Tele, but it's less of a deal if it needs pots right out of the box, and a bridge and pickups within a year.

This.

• Members

I'd choose the Gibson from your list, but apparently there are duds in the line. Play it first. The SGs sound great (I like those pickups). The finish won't hold up (it looks/feels like more of a stain than a finish), but that's part of the appeal.

The Fender would be nice, but it's that expensive and made in Indonesia? Fenders are almost always built well, and they are extremely reliable. That one's a good choice.

I don't really like Jacksons, so I wouldn't choose it. They're good for what they do, I guess, but they're not for me.

As d_dave_c said, check out the PRS SE line. I just got an SE Custom 24, and I find the workmanship to be just as good (and it looks better) than my Gibson Faded LP Studio. The guitars sound much different, though. Both good in different ways.

• Members

There are duds in all sub $1,000 guitar lines.

Having said that, every one of the Korean FMTs I've played have been very impressive. Had a blue one for a while. If it was the black one, I'd absolutely still own it.

I'd second the recommendation that you extensively look for used USA Hamers. Might not find the right one for the right price this week or next week but when you do, it will most likely be a killer guitar.

The Gibson most likely could be turned into a great guitar, but if keeping the finish looking 100% is of utmost concern, I wouldn't even consider it. I love the finish, esp the brown, but it's not going to look like that 10 years from now. It's designed NOT to.

The Jackson... well, it's a Jackson. That's good and bad. For a bit more $$$, look into the current Charvels. Best necks I've recently played on a sub $2,000 production guitar. My #1 has a Warmoth with a very similar feeling neck... slightly thinner than a Fender C, also feels slightly wider and has an oil finish. Absolutely LOVE it.

• Members

I'd second the recommendation that you extensively look for used USA Hamers. Might not find the right one for the right price this week or next week but when you do, it will most likely be a killer guitar.

I agree with this, too. I forgot to mention it in my earlier post. Hamers rule.

• Members

3 Pretty drastically different guitars IMO. Build quality wise I think you'll be happy with any of the three. Fender runs a pretty tight ship nowadays with their imports that actually carry the 'Fender' name (squiers are obviously a different story). I think the QC issues regarding Gibson are a bit exaggerated and can be nullified if you actually handpick the one you buy anyway. Jacksons, while well made, always feel a bit sterile to me.

So, as it comes to these guitars, it's really more of which do you like more based on features/specs/looks than having to worry about build quality. I personally like the Fender. I like mahogany, the pickups, the controls, and the flat fretboard radius.

• Members
It is 7.25 or 7.5 off the top of my head, just very curved and didn't feel right. I didn't figure I would be able to tell a diffrence and I was wrong
:(

Yeah, that 7.25 is really tough for me as well. They're pretty hard to set up properly too.

I sold a very nice semihollow Tele because of that. I loved that frickin guitar and had modded it completely to my liking. In retrospect, I should have just bought a new 9.5 neck and I'd still have that puppy! Too bad I didn't think of that back then.
:mad:
:facepalm:

• Members

I thought about maybe changing out the neck later but it seemed silly in this instance since I could return it.

I am going to go out tomorrow night if at all possible to look some more. I am almost thinking if I find a Gibson that I fall in love with I will go that way. The others I will have to order, but I feel better about that unseen. Not to knock Gibson but the Faded models seem to vary widly.

Archived