Guitar and Electronic Music

michael_liuzzi

• Members

I've got an old Roland GR-09 that has MIDI Out. It can be setup so that each string is on it's own MIDI channel and I run it into my MacBook that has Sampletank and some other S/W synths. If I set the pitch bend on the Roland the same as the pitch bend on the synth I can use the whammy bar on my guitar.

Sampletank is a 16 voice synth and allows me to have a different patch on each MIDI channel as well as being able to change the channel of each of the voices - in other words I can have more than one patch assigned to each string. It is also possible to run different synthesizers on the computer at the same time and assign each of the strings to radically different sounding patches.

In the early days of guitar synthesizers, I agreed with DC that it was easier to access synthesizers from a keyboard - especially since I play the piano - but the guitar, obviously, is a different instrument with a different approach and I am really enjoying the new technology.

• Members

Well, I play the acoustic, and to date all of my commercial releases have been in house / lounge electronic music, almost all vinyl for DJ's. I play a 000-18 custom built in 1985, and record with a ProTools HD3 rig, main synths are an MOTM modular, Roland JD990 and a rack mounted Oberheim OB8 (OB8m). I don't know if that qualifies, but I'm very interested in reframing the acoustic guitar and making it relevant to current urban electronic music.

And keys can be very, very expensive, as much as guitars.

• Members

Somebody like David Torn or Christian Fennesz does a very good job of integrating the guitar into an electronic context by using loops, extreme distortion, and lots of unconventional attacks (swells, tapping, etc.). And then, of course, there's Robert Fripp, who does have a huge guitar synth rig--but would probably be just as well off with a Les Paul, a Marshall, and a volume pedal--well, OK, and his rack of TC Electronic 2290 delays. :p

• Members

I'm very interested in reframing the acoustic guitar and making it relevant to current urban electronic music.

I think there's plenty of room to do that. In an electronic context, a guitar is no different from a piano--it's a signal source. It's the processing that really matters. Just off the top of my head, I could see the technical approaches of John Fahey or Ralph Towner being a very good start for electronic processing.

• Members

Somebody like David Torn or Christian Fennesz does a very good job of integrating the guitar into an electronic context by using loops, extreme distortion, and lots of unconventional attacks (swells, tapping, etc.). And then, of course, there's Robert Fripp, who does have a huge guitar synth rig--but would probably be just as well off with a Les Paul, a Marshall, and a volume pedal--well, OK, and his rack of TC Electronic 2290 delays.
:p

I was going to mention Fripp. That guy is on another planet. Never ceases to impress me.

Archived