Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD-Resonator content

Actually I've had this Dobro Hound Dog for about 2 weeks, but I wanted to install the Lace Sensor Resonator pick-up before posting on HCEG. It just arrived from MF after being stuck in the snow in Kansas for a week. Nothing was moving.
    The Hound Dog is made in the Epiphone factory. After playing a few resos in the $300 to $500 price range I liked the sound of this one the best. They actually had one at my local Sam Ash, and I had a coupon for $50 off. The body is a maple laminate making it sound a bit brighter than other wood body resos I've played.
    The Lace Sensor Resonator pick-up is the best reso pup I've tried. They really pick up the sound of the resonator well. And hey! Dylan uses one!
    I've used them before. The suggested way to install them is with double sided sticky foam tape and the wire is meant to dangle down on the outside and wrap around the end-pin. There's an input jack on the end of the cable. The problem I've encountered is that it doesn't take very long for the connection right at the pup to go bad from the constant motion. There's really no way to fix it, do to the epoxy at the connection. So I decided for a more permanent mount. This involved drilling a couple of holes and running the wire inside. I didn't bother with volume or tone controls, but I might add them later. For now I just run it through a Fish and Chips EQ pedal. Lots of control that way.

My Two Hound Dogs

P.S. Yes I know the pup is slightly crooked. I can fix that.

hil: grats

Comment

Cool ... square neck or round neck?
      My Name is Tom Pettingill ... I build Hand Crafted Custom Lap Steel Guitars
      http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/tompettingill

Comment

That's a very nice guitar.

*adds to GAS list*
        "All metal is muscle memory" - NeoAngelo

Comment

woo hoo!

In hindsight, I should have kept my Biscuit.
          "No one ever goes to heaven deservingly
          and no one ever goes to hell unwillingly."
          -CS Lewis

Comment

That's cool. Congrats.

EG
            We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

Cool ... square neck or round neck?

Round. Even with 13s on it I can still play with finger to fret a little. But mostly I use a Dunlop 215 glass slide. Tuned to open E.

Comment

HNGD! I've been debating getting a resonator myself (either a tricone, or a single cone spiderplate). They sound so cool!
                Guitars I Have (and Play)

Gretsch G6119-1962FT Tennessee Rose

2006 Mapleglo Rickenbacker 360

2012 Fender Esquire

2012 Squier Modified Jaguar - not the humbucker one, the traditional one

Guild D125-12, 12-string acoustic

Amps

Early 90s Teal Stripe Peavey Bandit (the earliest Transtube Peavey)

Comment

HNGD! I've been debating getting a resonator myself (either a tricone, or a single cone spiderplate). They sound so cool!

I love Tricones myself. I was seriously considering the Regal Texas Tea Tricone, however some of the reviews made me think twice. I'd have to play one.

Comment

Congrats!

(o)(o)
                    Visit Crash Pad at:
                    http://CrashPadBand.com
                    CONSUME!:
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
                    Gear List/Pics:
                    https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

Sweet!
                      -^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

Comment

I love Tricones myself. I was seriously considering the Regal Texas Tea Tricone, however some of the reviews made me think twice. I'd have to play one.

I've played a couple of tricones, and I LOVE their sound. I'd prefer one set up for plectrum/fretted playing, instead of slide. I'm hit and miss on the Dobro Hound Dogs. I played one a few months ago, and was kind of "meh" about its sound. But I played one last week, that sounded pretty good! If I were to get a tricone, I'd probably get a Republic. The National tricone I played sounded great, but at $2500, was waaaayy more than I can afford.
                        Guitars I Have (and Play)

Gretsch G6119-1962FT Tennessee Rose

2006 Mapleglo Rickenbacker 360

2012 Fender Esquire

2012 Squier Modified Jaguar - not the humbucker one, the traditional one

Guild D125-12, 12-string acoustic

Amps

Early 90s Teal Stripe Peavey Bandit (the earliest Transtube Peavey)

Comment

The Lace Sensor Resonator pick-up is the best reso pup I've tried. They really pick up the sound of the resonator well. And hey! Dylan uses one!

Is the Lace hum-canceling? I'm shopping for a pickup for my resonator mandolin.
                          -^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

Comment

Is the Lace hum-canceling? I'm shopping for a pickup for my resonator mandolin.

Yes it is. As much as any Lace Sensor. It still picks up some hum if I get it to close to the computer monitor.

Comment

mostly I use a Dunlop 215 glass slide.

Nice guitar! IMO, pyrex glass slides can't hold a candle to a bottleneck. Try a Mr. Bs or better still, a Diamond slide, and I think you'll hear the difference!

http://www.mrbsguitarslides.com/
                              http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/DB08/index.asp
                              The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                              X