Help me choose some pups for my new guitar???

ju5t1n20

• Members

I just got my strat yesterday and the pickups are a little weak. So I am coming to you guys for some suggestions, as I am a bit of a noob to pickups. I play a wide variety of music from Brad Paisley/Keith Urban to Alice in Chains to some contemporay christian music. I was looking for some versatile pickups in a S-S-H guitar. I am looking looking for something that will give me a clean, clear, smooth neck tone and a nice sustainy, crunchy, pickup. I am preferably looking for hum free pups, but not a necessity.

The set up I am looking at is Dimarzio Virtual Heavy Blues 2(N), Virtual Solo(m), and Tone Zone(B). Thanks for the suggestions guys.

• Members

I'm bias as hell so take that into consideration, but Bill Lawrence has great noiseless pickups for strats and they are very reasonably priced. The only knock I have (and it's actually something I like) is that the bridge pickup is a bit fuller and warmer than a stock single coil. It's not muddy or anything, but it's not ice picky. It's definitely not humbucker voiced so you may want to check out something like a little '59 or something.

He's also got rail pickups that I liked a lot, but once again the sound isn't humbucker-ish, but for the neck and middle they do sound great. It's a bit more modern sounding than the L280s'.

• Members

That might be too soon for a decision to swap pups.

I though my EBMM's pickups were weak, but before long I found out that with proper EQ setting and amp setting, the pickups do just fine. (think Clapton to Rammstein).

The bridge pickup is an alnico V pearlgates plus.

• Members

What I would do -

Texas Special N & M

Bridge: Fender/Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
Plus
I much prefer the "Plus" version. It's been commonly used by Fender and I think it does a good job in both modes and works well with alder bodies.

I think that would be a pretty versatile setup. I would really like to try it.

• Members

I have had BG Pups before and they're good, but come on, they don't really do the same thing as the OP seems to want, which is noiseless high gain performance, apparently.

Fair enough.

DiMarzios aren't bad but Kinman's definitely better, IMO. Get a couple of the Blues pickups and put them with a JB and you're good to go.

• Members

I'd just leave it alone and use something in your guitar chain to boost the gain. Maybe get a beefier amp. Most fender pups are very well balanced and sound better than generics. With the proper chain tweaking they can sound great. You get alot of guys bying fenders and fail to ever learn how to use that sound. then they mod it and never find that grest tone. The instrument is only half of the equasion. Pair it with a great amp and it cooks. If you want a fat sound buy a gibson with HB's.

• Members

That might be too soon for a decision to swap pups.

I though my EBMM's pickups were weak, but before long I found out that with proper EQ setting and amp setting, the pickups do just fine. (think Clapton to Rammstein).

The bridge pickup is an alnico V pearlgates plus.

This.

Probably need to try out more settings on amp and guitar. At least give them more than one day,

• Members

I'd just leave it alone and use something in your guitar chain to boost the gain. Maybe get a beefier amp. Most fender pups are very well balanced and sound better than generics. With the proper chain tweaking they can sound great. You get alot of guys bying fenders and fail to ever learn how to use that sound. then they mod it and never find that grest tone. The instrument is only half of the equasion. Pair it with a great amp and it cooks. If you want a fat sound buy a gibson with HB's.

For sure. Like in the other thread you started you got this advice; it could be in your head. You just got the thing, get to know her a bit and THEN look in to what you want to do with it. For now, leave it stock and bash away. What's the rush?

Archived