Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Up With Washburn Lately?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washburns, from what I've seen, have been solid guitars for the money. They haven't lit the world on fire, so to speak, but I happen to really like the Idol. It was, in my opinion, a stylish update on a classic, modern without being faddish or overly geared to one audience and still respectful of tradition. Plus, Buzz Feiten for good intonation and VCC for tonal options. Not a terrible instrument. I always like to see unique but tasteful variations on the standards. I guess they're still being produced but scaled way back in favor of straight-up LP clones, which is a shame but understandable.

Yes, the D10S sold like gangbusters and was pretty well-known for its bang-for-buck factor. Not a bad acoustic by any stretch of the imagination.

And I would hope they do still have at least a couple models MIA. In this economy, though, you do what you can. If anyone knows about their custom shop or what's going on in Mundelein, post it.

Comment

Wasburn is sort of at the same point as Peavey. You can still get guitar from Peavey's custom shop but they are not easy to get on the phone. I think Peavey is going all import on their Peavey electric line with the exception of their Custom Shop. There's a reason Joe Satriani left. My point is I think at some point you have to compete and right now alot of company's import business are doing better than the american made business because of the economy. And if I'm not mistaking I heard that US Music Corp were now the Distributor of Marshall.

Comment

Things are pretty unstable in lots of different guitar companies. It's usually a case of bigger eating smaller. Like Fender ate Guild (and ruined it, IMHO). I don't own any Washburns currently, but they do/did have some nice acoustics. Never had/played any of their electrics, though.
        Prog lover and proud of it.

Comment

For some reason I always associate Washburn with good quality but affordable acoustics.

+1,

So nice.
          check out my sweet dealzzz, I got tons of them

Comment

I owned an HB35 semihollow. Definitely worth the $500 asking price.

Comment

Whaddya know. Musta been a website redesign, or somthing. They're back:

http://www.washburn.com/index.php

hmm... seems like they've pulled the 'Vindicator' series entirely. Mine is a real player, too; I especially the phenolic resin fretboard.

Comment

I owned a Nuno N-24..it was a good guitar...
                "The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought"
                Sir Thomas Beecham

Comment

I would probably sell my Les Paul before giving up my 1988 MIJ Washburn HB-35. That guitar is a keeper.

Having said that, Washburn has been through some rough patches in the past. In the early 90s, they were switching to different factories for their production and the quality was inconsistent. They seem to have settled down, but as we all know, it's a rough market out there.
                  Originally Posted by caveman

I'll bend over backwards to make things work but I'll be damned if I'll bend over forwards.

Digital Me

Comment

It's my understanding that the only thing their custom shop is doing is N4's and Paul Stanley's. They sold off almost everything in regards to parts last year from the custom shop. They've been making some really weird decisions since the new ownership. I've got two N4's, a Washburn acoustic (made in China) and my Randall NBKING. Great stuff. I've had other Washburns and the fit and finish has always been great and better than a lot of other products from other manufacturers. I really hope they get their **************** together. I live in a decent sized market and there are no stores out of over half a dozen that carry any kind of Washburn product. Even Sam Ash only has some used Randall items or stuff that's been sitting their for years.

Comment

My second guitar was a Washburn KC-something or other. Not a bad guitar for the piece of plywood that it was back in the early 90's. I wore it out. I always wished they'd re-release the P2 and P4 guitars from the mid nineties again. I never got one and they always go for a decent amount of cash on ebay. I thought the Idol geetars looked horrible and could never bring myself to buy a Nuno model.

Comment

I just took a look at their website and I remember now that the VP said they were not dropping the Idol, but changing it over to a more traditional LP shape. I bought this jazz box from the guy. He told me the guitar was pretty much a prototype and was never produced in numbers. Model HB-155SM (Spalted Maple). I always liked the Washburn Wes Montgomery and this Idol shaped version was just too cool to pass up.

"I've got a briefcase of thin air. I can play some tricks on you, pretend that I don't care." The Contrast

Comment

Never owned one but played a few HB35s and were def the semi to have for the price, better than Dots or Ibanez Artcores.
                          I also played a Cumberland Jumbo acoustic one time I thought was a good git for the money.

My buddy still owns an early 80s wing series electric, one of the lower priced ones, cost him around $200 back then w/a tweed HS case.
                          Still a rock solid git. 2 peice slab double cut hog body. Bolt on maple multi piece neck w/rosewood FB. Good HB pickups. Solid fixed bridge. These are def a find if you stumble across one.

Comment

I love my WI68 Idol...stole it on the used market also.

This space available for rent...

Comment

I don't know if this helped or hurt Washburn's cachet.

Comment

One of the most fun floyd guitars I've ever played. Body was a bit thicker and the thing just sings!

Comment

Working...
                                X