Anyone know where I can find a set of Kinman P90 HX pickups on the cheap?

tonaldeath

• Members

Considering the only way you can get them is through Chris Kinman's website, I'd say you're SOL until someone sells a used set on Evilbay.

Yep... That's pretty much where I'm at. Been scouring ebay for well over a month, with nary a listing to be found.

• Members

Nobody gets them to sell them. These ain't no DiMarzio Super Distortions.

You're not going to find them used. Just lower your standards.

I have had Kinman pickups and love them but I've found that plenty of other pickups can provide 95% of the performance at 60% of the cost.

• Members

Really? That's interesting to hear. A lot of the review I've read and just from talking to people, I hear that for a noiseless P90, the Kinman HX slays the Lollar etc., and is really the only one that nails the sound. It sounds amazing in the demos I've listened to as well. Do you have any other recommendations?

• Members

I replaced HB pups for GFS Brooklyn p90s in a Schecter c-1 classic diamond series and holy smokes,what a true tone that{ chords }cut right thru distortion,and has round sounding notes ,kinda a woody tone,and strong pups too !

I had LP pups in it before ,i cant do without the p90s now, these babys make u wanna play because every note is there,u dare make a mistake its heard !

Outstanding definiction!!

The .022 cap works excelent !

I gotum cheap used ,w/gold covers about $42.00 +ship $7.00 I had no idea they were this dynamite !

• Members

Alecto can you give me the web link for Chris Kinman's website???

Here you go

http://www.kinman.com/guitar-pickups/p90/hx90.htm

I just ordered a set yesterday; just like the OP I am hoping that this is the end of a fairly long journey. I also had issue with the price, but here's the thing, a set of Gibson P90's is going to run you about $200 new. They are made from a total of 13 parts. The Kinmans are $318 for a pair and they are constructed from over 200 individual parts. Does that make them worth it? I don't know, but it makes me feel a lot better about justifying the price and it's only a 33% difference in exchange for noiseless P90's that actually work (in theory).

• Members

Really? That's interesting to hear. A lot of the review I've read and just from talking to people, I hear that for a noiseless P90, the Kinman HX slays the Lollar etc., and is really the only one that nails the sound. It sounds amazing in the demos I've listened to as well. Do you have any other recommendations?

Hmm now that you mention it, noiseless P90s are not very common and generally not very good.

In fact, nothing really competed with the Kinman Strat pickups for the longest time at a lower price range either. Now there are several other good choices.

Yeah, you know what, they're worth the money. Save up.

Archived