eBayers have no respect for the masters

Grantus

• Members

About a week ago, an eBay seller started an auction for a DiPinto electric guitar supposedly used by Earl Slick when he toured with David Bowie. The auction included a Bowie road case for the guitar and a certificate of authenticity from Slick.

Bidding started at 1 cent, although shipping was over $60. A few days ago, there was only one bid, so I bid $22.

Last night, with about 17 hours left to go in the auction, the seller yanked the auction. I was high bid at 6 cents.

• Members

I would think on a thing like that, a reserve would be in order, or at least start the action at a reasonable asking price.

That said, I had reserves, too. I rarely bid on auctions with reserves, and I don't sell stuff using reserves. If I don't want to sell something for less than $50, I start the bidding at $50.

• Members

^^This. Reserves are just stupid, IMO. If the seller has a minimum amount he has to hit, that's where the auction should start. Yanking an auction with 17 hours left is unethical, but then, we are talking about eBay...

It's not really "unethical" since as an Ebay seller you have the right to pull down the item if, for example, you sell it locally. you don't have an agreement to buy until the auction ends...really...

• Members
^^This. Reserves are just stupid, IMO. If the seller has a minimum amount he has to hit, that's where the auction should start.
Yanking an auction with 17 hours left is unethical
, but then, we are talking about eBay...

I don't mind so much somebody ending an auction early. I can imagine trying to sell it locally, not wanting to hassle with shipping, Ebay fees, etc, listing on Ebay as a last resort, then after you list it, get a local offer.

I will say, ending an auction with 17 hours left is incredibly stupid. :lol: Was this his first auction? Has he never watched an auction on Ebay? Not much happens till the last minute.

• Members

Setting a reserve can scare people away from bidding, but if you're not getting the level you want I could see pulling the auction. Unethical? That's more of a personal thing, but maybe the seller is thinking his guitar is worth more than it is. Just because someone with a level of fame owned the guitar it doesn't mean it's worth anythin.

Archived