Teach me about Strats

komodo117

• Members

I've been playing for several years now and as I learn more and study more and more guitarists, I realize that a vast majority of my favorite players are Strat players (Gilmour, Hazel, Beck, Lalonde, Belew). I've come to love that versatile, clear, single coil tone that I just can't get on anything else. Unfortunately, I've always neglected Strats in favor of more original and unique guitars, but I think it's time I sat down and started looking for one.

Anyways, there are countless thousands of Strats and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a brief overview of the differences between the majority of them, which most of you prefer, and what would work best for me. Such as: differences between different eras, neck variations, pickup variations, tonal differences between straight and slanted pup setups, etc.

Not expecting immediate answers, but any help is better than no help. I'm sure someone must be able to link me to some resources that have {censored}loads of Strat information.

Pretty much just looking for the perfect guitar that a small-handed, funk loving Eddie Hazel worshiper could appreciate.

• Members

For what you're asking, I'm wishing I had a bibliography to post ;)

Probably a good way to get acquainted is to look at the Fender site and read all the specs of the Strats that interest you. They make replicas and reissues of Strats of every era these days, so you'll get a basic sense of which eras are associated with which traits, e.g. maple or rosewood fingerboards, soft-Vs v. C-shaped, pickup types, etc. Of course, there will be exceptions and differences, but that and a good reading of some online histories should help you get a feel for the basics. Try looking at websites for larger-volume vintage dealers, too.

• Members

Uhh... I like the Red ones :wave:

Seriously though, that question is probably best answered by going out and playing as many different Strats as you can to get your own opinion. What I like could be radically different to what you like. At the end of the day, just go out and play a bunch and I'm sure you can get the answers for yourself.

Stuff like slanted pickup configs etc. you can experiment with once you find one you like. Find out what neck you like, tones you like etc. and go from there. Though, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction and give you links and stuff. I'm not that guy :D

• Members

I'd say start at the beginning.

Three single coils with or without vibrato. That doesn't matter. You don't have to use it.

Nothing special done for the p'ups.

A nice little amp that can get you your cleans and driven.

Spend time on the middle and neck p'ups. Not just that bridge p'up.

Practice getting the tone. "Your sound."

------------------------------------------------

Then, move on after a while.

• Members

Well I was looking for more objectively-oriented discussion rather. I have played various Strats (though they usually all end up being close to the same configurations), I'm just looking for the finer aspects of them that I can't learn from the hour or two I get to spend in the shop every 2 weeks with the limited collection there.

In the end I'm probably just going to build a franken-strat, but there's just so many god damn options out there and no way for me to tangibly learn about all of them. I mean, as much as I'd love to, I can't play EVERY guitar in existence. :p

*EDIT*

For what you're asking, I'm wishing I had a bibliography to post
;)

Probably a good way to get acquainted is to look at the Fender site and read all the specs of the Strats that interest you. They make replicas and reissues of Strats of every era these days, so you'll get a basic sense of which eras are associated with which traits, e.g. maple or rosewood fingerboards, soft-Vs v. C-shaped, pickup types, etc. Of course, there will be exceptions and differences, but that and a good reading of some online histories should help you get a feel for the basics. Try looking at websites for larger-volume vintage dealers, too.

Helpful. :thu:

• Members

There are also vintage style necks that have 7.25 radius fretboards which can fret out durning those bluesy types bends if you like a low action. I prefer a rosewood 9.5 radius fretboard myself if I play a strat. I guess if you like that funk sound you want a maple board. You need to go try out a few to find one you like. I am not a huge strat fan although I have used 2-3 over the years I've come to the relization that I like Les Pauls, Archtops and Teles.

• Members

Teles are currently in vogue and lots of folks are on the semi-hollow bandwagon.

Those are great guitars, but there's probably a good reason strat type guitars can be bought at any shop in S/S/S, H/S/S or H/H configurations with standard Fender trems, hardtails, TOM bridges etc...

As for specific model... you can read lots of specs, but they won't really tell you if it fits your hand or not. The Fender C is the 'standard' but some folks like a thicker than average neck and some like a bit thinner. I'm pretty easy to please as my three main strats have different profiles and three different fret radii, but my favorite is the Warmoth standard thin with the compound radius. Just a bit thinner than a Fender C and, while I love the vintage-flavored necks, that compound radius is just tits. Low action, nice bending, great for leads, great for chords.

But seriously, just go play some guitars, mate.

Where in PA are you located?

• Members

I love my G&L Legacy.

I honestly believe G&L guitars are true quality. Their 2-point trem is incredible, the split neck design is cool as hell and the PTB (Passive Treble Bass) system is the best idea in years. But, mostly because I like Leo more than I like Fender.

• Members

About an hour south of Pittsburgh, out in the {censored}in boonies. You know, flight 93 crash site, Quecreek mine disaster, all that jazz.

There are 300 page books just about Strats. It would take hours to explain all the variations and flavors. Get your price range set, and then go out and play as many in your price range as you can. Eventually, the "one" will emerge.

Well really I was just looking for the basics to help narrow things down a bit. A little bit of knowledge doesn't hurt.

And I've heard nothing but praise for G&L's. I've yet to ever play one though.

*EDIT* I'd like to add that the general curiosity stems from not having a lot of shops around here. There's some guitar centers an hour and a half away, but I don't dare step foot in one of them again. The couple legit mom n pop shops around always have such a limited selection though, and even those are of questionable quality.

• Members

About an hour south of Pittsburgh, out in the {censored}in boonies. You know, flight 93 crash site, Quecreek mine disaster, all that jazz.

Well really I was just looking for the basics to help narrow things down a bit. A little bit of knowledge doesn't hurt.

And I've heard nothing but praise for G&L's. I've yet to ever play one though.

*EDIT* I'd like to add that the general curiosity stems from not having a lot of shops around here. There's some guitar centers an hour and a half away, but I don't dare step foot in one of them again. The couple legit mom n pop shops around always have such a limited selection though, and even those are of questionable quality.

A price range would help focus the comments a lot.

• Members

A price range would help focus the comments a lot.

Price doesn't matter. Anything under $2k really. Something under $1k would be great since I'm pretty poor at the moment, but I don't want to limit myself from a world of nicer guitars by refusing to pay over a grand. Besides, buying groceries is overrated.

And of course there are Strats everywhere. :p Doesn't mean they aren't garbage though. Or at least others elsewhere far more deserving of my attention and money. I'm not one to buy the first thing I see without an educated decision and not knowing what to look for, value and playing wise. Otherwise I'd just own an arsenal of pawn-shop guitboxes (not to say that those are all garbage either...but you catch my drift).

• Members

Poor isn't looking for a $2,000 guitar, hoping to get one for $1,000... poor these days is selling plasma and giving handjobs for some extra cash while living on Ramen noodles. :lol:

Seriously.... it was just a couple handjobs. :idk:

You really need to go play several of them to see things like what neck profile you like and what fretboard radius and fret size you like. This are the things you just can't change after the purchase.

For what it's worth, I'd put a used 60s Classic Player at the very top of my list. Comes with CS69 pickups which aren't my very favorite set, but they sound VERY stratty... Glossy tinted neck and vintage type tuners which IS my preference, 2 point trem which is not my preference but itsn't a deal-breaker for me. The 60s all have rosewood fretboards. Standard neck profile, flatter than average radius, but not too extreme... medium jumbo frets... Basically everything is a slight update from the originals but are updates most modern strat players prefer.

And if you are a fan of light blue, I think it's about the best looking sub $1,000 strat going. Comes with the mint green pickguard and aged covers and knobs. I LOVE the look, but everyone might not. Very surfy.

They cost $800 new and maybe $600 to $650 used. HECK of a nice guitar for that kind of money.

I've been a strat guy for 30 years and have played a lot of nice guitars. If I suddenly lost everything and had $1,000 for a guitar and didn't have a lot of time to look around, this would be at the absolute top of my list.

60s_Classic_Player_Stratocaster_Sonic_Bl

• Members

Poor isn't looking for a $2,000 guitar, hoping to get one for $1,000... poor these days is selling plasma and giving handjobs for some extra cash while living on Ramen noodles.
:lol:

Seriously.... it was just a couple handjobs.
:idk:

You really need to go play several of them to see things like what neck profile you like and what fretboard radius and fret size you like. This are the things you just can't change after the purchase.

For what it's worth, I'd put a used 60s Classic Player at the very top of my list. Comes with CS69 pickups which aren't my very favorite set, but they sound VERY stratty... Glossy tinted neck and vintage type tuners which IS my preference, 2 point trem which is not my preference but itsn't a deal-breaker for me. The 60s all have rosewood fretboards. Standard neck profile, flatter than average radius, but not too extreme... medium jumbo frets... Basically everything is a slight update from the originals but are updates most modern strat players prefer.

And if you are a fan of light blue, I think it's about the best looking sub $1,000 strat going. Comes with the mint green pickguard and aged covers and knobs. I LOVE the look, but everyone might not. Very surfy.

They cost $800 new and maybe $600 to $650 used. HECK of a nice guitar for that kind of money.

I've been a strat guy for 30 years and have played a lot of nice guitars. If I suddenly lost everything and had $1,000 for a guitar and didn't have a lot of time to look around, this would be at the absolute top of my list.

60s_Classic_Player_Stratocaster_Sonic_Bl

I went for the Classic Player's 50's Strat, which I would also recommend. The pick ups are not quite as high output as the CS69's, but are very Stratty and I liked the neck better than the Classic Players 60.

Fender50sClassicPlayerStrat.jpg

• Members

First, I think you should focus on Strats currently in production. When you talk about the history of Strats, you're talking about a very rich and long history full of tons of different guitars and details get a bit twisty. I agree with Fireproof777 in that it's almost too broad a topic to discuss succintly. Entire volumes have been written on Strats. It's kind of like saying "Teach me about cars"... you'd have to narrow your focus if you want a simply stated answer.

As for Strats in production right now, you've got the Squier line, which are produced in Asian countries for budget prices. The Affinity and Standard Squiers really aren't anything special but the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified line feature high quality and some nice appointments, relative to the price point. The Fender-branded Fenders are produced in either Mexico or the United States. The Standard series Fenders are MIM and are the most basic of them all and probably a good place to start if you want "Fender" on your headstock. These are also very popular for modding, as the stock pickups don't necessarily blow players away but they are still quality instruments. They should run you about $400 or possibly cheaper, if you get a deal. Among the American Fenders, you've got the American Special, which are slightly less expensive but still produced stateside and still high quality. These have Texas Special pickups (slightly hotter than normal) and will probably run you around $800. Then you have the American Standard, which are top-shelf guitars... arguably the best among Fender's production models and will cost you around $1100.

In addition to these lines, you've also got the American Deluxe series, as well as any number of "spinoff" series which offer some kind of variation on the standard Strat paradigm. In its most basic form, the Strat has three single coil pickups, a five-way switch, and a Strat-style trem. These elements can be varied and Fender typically offers a bunch of alternate models if you want to use the Strat as a launching pad but there's some fundamental bit you'd like to change. These include Fat Strats (which have a humbucker in the bridge position), the Black Top series which have dual humbuckers, the Road Worn series which offers extra-playable guitars with distressed finishes and necks, and I'm pretty sure there's still at least one production Strat with a Floyd Rose double locking trem system. Plus, Artists models provide some unique variations if you like the idea of a Sig guitar. Finally, you can call the Custom Shop and they can make anything you can think of, if you're willing to pay a few thousand dollars for it.

So... you've got a lot of options if you want a Strat. I agree with the people above, however. You need to research Fender's website http://www.fender.com and find an authorized Fender dealer near you and shop around A LOT. Once you start identifying elements you like and don't like, you can start narrowing in on one particular Strat for you.

Best!

• Members

I just recently bought a Squire Strat Affinity Series (low end hardware but alder body, maple neck and rw fretboard) it is currently SSS configuration but im going to be gutting it and replaceing the hardware, I payed $119.99 +tax for it, so for me, I would rather get a nice base and work from there, and On that note I also have a HSS Fender Std Strat (Made in Mexico) on its way, played it in the store and fell in love with it, which is odd since, a year ago I would never had touched a strat. But yeah I can only agree with the others, no one can tell you what you need to know, you have to get out there put a few in your hands and play and decide what feels right for you.

• Members

Here's my basic strat advice. And this is coming from someone who is not an expert by any means...just my own personal experiences.

First decide on one of these two combination's.....alder with a rosewood neck or ash with a maple neck. For a great example of the differences listen to this...

Ash/Maple

[video=youtube;bLRXNQDozxU]

Alder/Rosewood

[video=youtube;hdXgwkDjiWg]

the ash is brighter and snappier and the alder is warmer. Both are perfect examples of strat tone.

I would also say make sure to find a strat that resonates like crazy. Feels alive in your hands. Always the best strats I've ever played have amazing resonant bodies where the notes just seem to fly off the guitar. If the wood is dead, pass on the guitar.

And now for my usual MIJ plug:

When you're done deciding...go to Ishibashi's ubox and order this navigator...

3167275052.jpg

Ultra thin nitro finish with no poly sealer, 2 piece ash body, built the way fender did in the 50's. Specs not even found on a masterbuilt fender for 1500 bucks.

Or if alder is more your thing then type in "Van Zandt" to Isibashi's search. There are a couple alder models that have the same type of specs and build quality.

• Members

Regarding the recommendations for the Classic Players series: Yes, they're very good. You'll find that a lot of Strats are deliberately designed and voiced to feel and play like Fender's vintage models. This is because most Fender fans are nostalgic and the classics are hard to top. (American Vintage series, for example). I happen to like the Classic Player 60's a lot but I don't own one right now. Also, I've heard some good reviews about Highway One Strat but these things are all terribly subjective and there's no way to give you one concrete example.

Keep in mind that there's nothing at all wrong with a nice CV or VM Squier and you'd be saving a lot of money right off the bat. They are the budget player's choice. Unforunately, Squiers don't have the best resale value. It might behoove you to buy a Fender if you ever envision yourself selling it but I would honestly warn against spending a full $1,000 on your first Strat. I know you've been playing a while but if your initial attraction to Strats wears off, you don't want to have washed a lot of money down the drain.

• Members

Man I'm in the same boat. Just when I think I've thought up the combo I want, I see something else online. All I know is if it doesn't have the or 2/4 position sound and a trem (blocked or not) it's not a strat to me. Too many combos. I'm a firm believer in wrapping my hands around a guitar before I buy it. I was going to post the same link as DaleH above.

• Members

You should just buy a classic vibe strat and see if you like playing them. They are a squier and can be had for about 300 bucks and anyone can tell you they are pretty damn good.

If you like it, you can spend some more money on another and flip it or keep it.

• Members

You should just buy a classic vibe strat and see if you like playing them. They are a squier and can be had for about 300 bucks and anyone can tell you they are pretty damn good.

Yeah they are a really good deal.. I also think the Fender Highway 1 is really good (i have one), the neck feels really great.. The only thing that I didn't like was the greasebucket circuit, but that's removed in half an hour..

Archived