Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My long road to "the tone" for me has become jaded, Any suggestions?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me a great blues tone fits into the less is more category..Don't get fancy with it..

The Blues tones i like the best are slightly muddy with some reverb and occasionally some tremolo ..Back in the day there was no hi fi..In fact it was the opposite lo fi..

To me blues is all about trying to convey what i feel and think into my fingers and that aint always pretty or nice..

Now that i did my little speech on the blues with a $500 dollar budget wanting blues tones ..Once again look into the past many blues men of yesteryear played those sweet Vibro Champs..
    A life of chance for a breath of freedom...I'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

Comment

I like the natural gain on the Vox Night Train amps. I suppose they could take you to blues territory. There's a switch that bypasses the EQ, so you'll have gain to spare and a good amount of brightness.
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

For what it's worth my LP special and Class 5 does the blues thing in spades, another option I'd love to explore would be a used Vibrochamp.

Comment

Is there a chance that you're just suffering from ear fatigue? A week of rest from that rig could do wonders and give you a fresh set of ears to work with. I know that I've gone just about given up on some stuff only to come back weeks or even months later and remember just why I bought it in the first place and ask myself why I had turned my back on it in the first place.

Probably not the GAS inducing answer you were looking for...I played a Nighttrain a few years ago and remember being very impressed with it. Not enough to buy it though.
          AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

Comment

Sooo...you're on a search for the perfect tone but yet you can only get a 5 watt amp? That's your problem dude, you're limiting yourself to 5 measly watts. Although I'm sure you have a very good reason for it, I've never heard a 5 watt amp that has captured the tone of some of the more well known 30+ watt amps.

Comment

What is your idea of a great blues sound ,distortion with low gain?

Comment

Try a Dr. Z or a Swart or a Clark...they will really help you get your tone across much better than any of the guitar center "McAmps" which tend to hide nuances with cheap commercial-grade audio components and half-assed speakers. All of these "McAmps" are pretty much indistinguishable once you get inside the amp. Sure once can get good sounds from a Bugera or whatever GC flavor of the month amp, but a better made amp will help bring out your sound much better.
                http://www.reverbnation.com/davidandthetinydaggers
                http://www.guitarfugue.com/
                http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=913992
                http://www.myspace.com/davidandthetinydaggers

member of the G&L Militia

Comment

Love my Epihpone Valve Junior. By itself, I can't say it's anything too special, but with my wah, TS9, metal zone, equalizer, DD3 and a booster=good tone

Comment

Fender Tweed.

or

Peavy Delta Blues
                    "All metal is muscle memory" - NeoAngelo

Comment

Yeah, it's hard to define through a typewriter, but much like DavidMgT says, the higher quality circuits, whether they are vintage amps or current boutique types, almost always have more... I don't know... complexity or harmonic character. I think this is why you see guys raving about their Dr Z Carmen Ghias... it's almost the most simple amp around that has multiple power tubes, but even as simple as it is, it has teeny complexities surrounding the notes.

That's not to say you can get fine tones out of PCB amps or modeling amps, but they NEVER react as immediately to small differences in input from the player.

Again, I've played lots of lots of sub 10 watt amps with a single power tube... Champ 600, Vox AC4, Valve Jr, Class 5, Crate V5 and the like, as well as Silverface Champs and I have a clone of a Tweed Champ with a 12" speaker... it sounds plenty big and I sometimes surprise myself with tones from that amp, esp smoother, warmer tones, but it completely lacks the complexities from the Tweed Deluxe which, in the scheme of things, is a very similar amp. And I've found that for me, I much prefer the smaller power tube amps for getting those complexities... EL84s and 6V6s. Four 6L6s are great for huge booming clean tones, but the amp just doesn't respond the same way in my opinion as the smaller power tubes.
                      Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

The blues are kind of like punk rock in that they don't demand any one specific set of devices, just that you play with conviction and allow your tone to come from that sincerity.

Stop asking your equipment to provide your soul for you. As long as you're doing that, you'll always come up short and you'll always wind up being jaded.

My advice is to watch the movie It Might Get Loud and pay particular attention to everything Jack White says. He gets it.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and I do understand what you're going through, though. I happen to think the best amp for you would be a Fender Blues Junior but my larger point is that once you have a decent amp, it's moot. Your tone will come from your heart and your fingers.

Comment

Try a Dr. Z or a Swart or a Clark.

played some swarts recently... cool amps... ended up with a 65 amps lil elvis but a swart atomic space tone was definitely in the running

Comment

Sooo...you're on a search for the perfect tone but yet you can only get a 5 watt amp? That's your problem dude, you're limiting yourself to 5 measly watts. Although I'm sure you have a very good reason for it, I've never heard a 5 watt amp that has captured the tone of some of the more well known 30+ watt amps.

Then you haven't heard one of these:

http://www.cornfordamps.com/harlequin.htm

Or these:

http://www.dc-developments.com/cornell_plexi7_combo.htm

Small wattage amps can provide utterly awesome tone - very few of the cheaper ones are designed well enough though. Most early Led Zep stuff was done with a measly Fender Champ!

Comment

Most early Led Zep stuff was done with a measly Fender Champ!

Those amps were great and sounded great. But they didn't define Zeppelin's guitar sound. Jimmy Page did that.

Comment

Those amps were great and sounded great. But they didn't define Zeppelin's guitar sound. Jimmy Page did that.

If I ever need to drive women away I find striking up a detailed conversation about Page's various pioneering studio recording techniques does the trick.

Comment

Working...
                                X