NAD TSA15H 6V6 Head

profgalen

• Members

I finally got to hear one of these at Sam Ash and I was impressed. I had been looking for a 6V6 head and this looked interesting.

What I like:

Love the sound of 6V6s and this has it. Clean headroom to spare.

I like the speaker out options. Will match up to just about any ohm cabs (1X16ohm, 2X16ohm,1X8ohm, 2X8ohm and 1X4ohm).

I like the foot switchable 6db boost. Gives a sort of mid boost for a British type sound.

The Tube Screamer. Sounds like a TS is supposed to. The best thing about it is it saves me some valuable space on my small crowded pedal-board.

15 or 5 watt switchable.

What I Don't like:

No reverb. Not a big deal. I rarely use it. I have a pedal if I need it.

Effects loop. Actually this amp places the loop after the TS and boost but before the 12AX7 pre-amp. Still better than no loop.

Another good thing was the price $299 with coupon for free Carlo Robelli acoustic. just sold for $65 (half price) bringing amp cost to $235.

Pictures show test run with home made 1X12 cab with mystery speaker, but amp really shines with my Laney 2X12 with Celestions.

no cat

TSA15H1.jpg

with cat

TSA15H2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry, going to piggy back on your NAD with my TSA15H that I got about a week ago. I really, really like this amp.

I need to add a tone cat to mine.
:p

5426545607_90b84149a6.jpg

Cool! The cat makes all the difference. I just got some JJ's tubes for mine. Haven't installed them yet. Do you know if there is an adjustable bias in these.

• Members

To answer my own question, I couldn't find any bias adjustment. Must be fixed bias. I'll find out tomorrow how the JJs sound. To late to fire it up now.

How do you like the Ibanez cab? Is that open back? I'm thinking of getting one, or maybe the epiphone cab with the Lady Luck Eminence.

• Members

To answer my own question, I couldn't find any bias adjustment. Must be fixed bias. I'll find out tomorrow how the JJs sound. To late to fire it up now.

Here's the deal. I know JJ's 6V6s run hotter than most. That's why I like them. However with no bias trim pot I can't bring them up to speed. They are running cold. Not as much break-up at high volume as the stock China Tubes. I know they could probably be biased by replacing some resistors, but I'm not ready to go that route right now. I think I'll put the stock tubes back in until I can have my amp tech install a trim pot for bias.

• Members

The cab is half open. It sounds pretty good but its the only cab I've tried with it. It has the Seventy80 which gets mixed reviews. I might replace it with something else down the road but right now I'm happy with it.

I haven't thought about power tubes. I replaced v1 with a Tung-Sol and v2 with a Sovtek LPS and it really cleared up the tone. I'm going to look into the bias thing...

Archived