62 RI.

And this,

HCGB #77

Member,
    Squier Army
    Rickenbacker Squadron
    Gretsch Gang
    Epiphone Empire

"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." - Les Paul, 2002

Comment

Love that! Is that a scalloped fret neck?
      > .

Comment

Why not...I'm in.
        My CIJ 62 RI. ('07-'08?)

Now with mint green pg and Fralin Vintage Hots in neck/mid and an SP43 bridge pickup.
        Faith precedes comprehension.: Norcal_GIT_r, vintage clubber, delayed delay(2x), PunkRocker33133, easyliver, Leisure Lee, meowy, TheCardiacKid, Mdsmithii, coryaedwards, finnster, ibanez_dude, Aaron SS, theguitarist182, Crxsh, johnnyunitas, t-rey, DSmithGuitars: 62 CIJ Strat, 82 Carvin DC200K, Tak EF350MCAmps: Egnater Tweaker, Crate V3112, VOX DA5Pedals: SHOD, Timmy, Nova Delay, DLS, HoofSale/trade: GFS trem block, Small Clone, Malekko Trem, Hoof Fuzz, TU-3

Comment

Love that! Is that a scalloped fret neck?

Yeah, I bought it on a whim, plus I got a great deal on it. Sold the pickups out of it, traded the neck for an unloaded Marshall 1922 cab and I'm refinishing the body to a Montery Pop Festival strat.

It was VERY scalloped:

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

I worked the checkout all summer '89 to buy mine. Cost me
            •Member of The ƒender Japan Club•

Comment

Have a couple '67 reissues (big headstock, small logo.) One sunburst (ash), the other olympic white, both with maple capped necks.

Comment

Just in case anyone is reading this for info about MIJ vs CIJ - it refers to the manufacturing partners. The first Fender Japan contract was with the Fuji-Gen Gakki (Fuji Stringed Instruments) company and those are labelled MIJ. In the 90s, manufacturing switched to Dyna Gakki and Tokai Gakki. Those instruments are labelled CIJ and there are differences like pots, shielding, etc but the overall quality is essentially the same. More recently Fuji-Gen Gakki have been producing again so there are 2008-2010 Japanese Fenders with MIJ on them again. These all have T serial numbers and the font used is somewhat bolder than the pre-90s ones.
                Lastly - the Fender website is a bit misleading about some of the FJ serial numbers. Most of the info about letter prefixes is correct, but if someone tells you a Telecaster with an A serial number is from 1985, make sure you get lots of additional evidence. Tele bridge plates with A serial numbers were used throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s, so for instance there are CIJ guitars with A serial numbers. Mostly, otherwise, the serial numbers are reliable for dates. Lastly, MIJs from the 1980s nearly always have a date written in pencil on the neck heel.

Comment

I have one I bought in 1987, it used to be silver, it's now a greenish color with age.

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

My '96 MIJ Foto Flame. I've thought about refinishing it and remember a thread
                    a couple of years back where somebody removed the foto flame as it fades (went from Green to Purple??) and refinished it but I've never been able to find the thread. Anybody remember?

Gibson Les Paul Studio
                    Fender MIJ Strat
                    Traynor YCV40
                    Roland 20 cube

Comment

I've got two Japanese teles, a '52RI CIJ and a '62 Custom RI MIJ, both with updated electronics (Fralins and Lollars, respectively) and a MIJ Jazz Bass on which I put a Badass II bridge. They are all fine instruments but that '62 Custom is my baby. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd get rid of it.
                      >>>Click here for my list of smooooov deals!

Comment

Just in case anyone is reading this for info about MIJ vs CIJ - it refers to the manufacturing partners. The first Fender Japan contract was with the Fuji-Gen Gakki (Fuji Stringed Instruments) company and those are labelled MIJ. In the 90s, manufacturing switched to Dyna Gakki and Tokai Gakki. Those instruments are labelled CIJ and there are differences like pots, shielding, etc but the overall quality is essentially the same. More recently Fuji-Gen Gakki have been producing again so there are 2008-2010 Japanese Fenders with MIJ on them again. These all have T serial numbers and the font used is somewhat bolder than the pre-90s ones.
                        Lastly - the Fender website is a bit misleading about some of the FJ serial numbers. Most of the info about letter prefixes is correct, but if someone tells you a Telecaster with an A serial number is from 1985, make sure you get lots of additional evidence. Tele bridge plates with A serial numbers were used throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s, so for instance there are CIJ guitars with A serial numbers. Mostly, otherwise, the serial numbers are reliable for dates. Lastly, MIJs from the 1980s nearly always have a date written in pencil on the neck heel.

thankyou for explaining that, makes sense to me

Comment

Hey people,

Make sure to put the thing in your sig!
                          SPAM:

Paper in oil capacitors £8.
                          I have 10 of these capacitors left.
                          Will ship international.

Comment

If I jump on the Strat wagon again, I would choose the Natural Aerodyne. Or please Fender Japan, make an Aerodyne Tele with an other colour variation too (nothing wrong with the black original, I like it too)
                            "It's all sratched up, Zuzu"Your wattage may vary

Comment

Can i join?

heres my CIJ '72 Reissue changed the electronics to fender standard and put in the SD hot rails. It screams. From the Serial, its a '94 model.

California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain
                              Honolulu starbright - the song remains the same.

Comment

More confused than ever now ... my JD Tele, bought in 1998, carries an anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock, has a 'MADE IN JAPAN' decal on the heel of the neck and the serial number etched into the ashtray bridgeplate is A055437. I've always assumed it was a 1996/7 model, but where it was built I still have no idea.
                                http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

Working...
                                X