What Years Were the Scam Years for SRV Strats?

BG76

• Members

I'm sure most of you remember how Fender lied and said that the SRV Strats had solid alder bodies - of course this was proven to be an outright lie, it was a poplar body with an alder veneer.

Fender later switched over to solid alder.

I have a chance to buy an older SRV reissue for $300 off of some guy who is going to lose his house if he doesn't make a payment by the end of the month (credit card moron) so I want to buy the guitar.

I just want to make sure it's not one of the scam ones.

Thanks for the help!

• Members

On most 2-3 tone strats with veneer the belly cut is fully painted dark. Like MIMs. On solid bodied 2-3 tone strats the belly cut is usually only partially dark.

These are not SRV strats but they show how the belly cut is painted. You have to cover that edge if it's a veneer,

CE-0C-gEWkKGrHqQOKj4E00U3F9qjBNTs3Sy1t_1

B83iRqQWkKGrHqRiEzLW0g01vBM4KQmWg2w_12.j

• Members

Thanks for the reply and you are correct.

However, for a few years Fender claimed that the SRV Strats were one piece. Then one was cut open and revealed a multi-piece poplar body with an alder veneer.

I am trying to find out what years this happened.

• Members

his point is that it doesn't really matter. you can tell if it's a "scam" SRV strat or not based on the finish.

He want to know a way to tell if it is a veneer SRV or non-veneer. I have never heard of one with veneer myself.

• Members

He want to know a way to tell if it is a veneer SRV or non-veneer. I have never heard of one with veneer myself.

Yep, it was a huge embarrassment for Fender. Do a google and sometimes you'll read about it.

Ed Roman cut one open and had it up back in maybe '96 or 97. Fender admitted they were doing this and started using solid alder.

Ed doesn't have anything on his site about this but if you google 'srv alder scam' some references from other people come up, but nothing about dates. I forget when it was.

• Members

Hope Ed isn't pulling your chain and everybody elses.

No, this was out there many years ago - maybe 1996 and Fender scrambled to come out and apologize.

This site has something about it:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178343&page=3

I'll probably buy the guitar but I plan on selling it so I want to make sure the buyer is clear on what they're getting.

• Members

No, this was out there many years ago - maybe 1996 and Fender scrambled to come out and apologize.

This site has something about it:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178343&page=3

I'll probably buy the guitar but I plan on selling it so I want to make sure the buyer is clear on what they're getting.

So, even that site (which might be SeymourDuncan.com, but it's the forum) mentions that Ed Roman did it.

This is what my son has to say about Ed Roman.

fullofshit.jpgfullofshit.jpg

Just like when Ed Roman was taking OLPs, refinishing them, putting Gotoh Floyds on them, and putting the MusicMan logo on the headstock.

• Members

Gilmour,

1- I think you have the EBMM scheme confused. Ed was selling OLPs with upgraded electronics, hardware, etc... as OLPs.

You can see for yourself using 'web archive':

http://web.archive.org/web/20041115032906/www.edroman.com/guitar/olp/romanmod_olp.htm

2- That being said, I don't want to get into that in this thread as it's internet folklore that has been discussed to death (usually by people who ignore the facts).

I am looking for help on a specific instance where Fender incorrectly advertised guitars as being one thing when they were something else so that I can be upfront and honest when I sell this guitar.

• Members

...I am looking for help on a specific instance
where Fender incorrectly advertised guitars as being one thing when they were something else
so that I can be upfront and honest when I sell this guitar.

When you decide to sell the guitar, you can easily advertise it as a Fender SRV and the Fender Spec's, If they are incorrect (your original point) it is not your problem... You could say it can be one piece, alder, poplar, etc, but there is no way to prove it unless you cut open the guitar. You could even get one from the "spam" year, but you will not be able to confirm this suspicious unless you cut it open...

You are not doing any false advertisement, on the other hand, if you said that you think it could be a spam, THEN you are doing a false advertisement to Fender, because THEY CLAIM one thing in the specs.

imho

• Members

Gilmour,

1- I think you have the EBMM scheme confused. Ed was selling OLPs with upgraded electronics, hardware, etc... as OLPs.

You can see for yourself using 'web archive':

2- That being said, I don't want to get into that in this thread as it's internet folklore that has been discussed to death (usually by people who ignore the facts).

I am looking for help on a specific instance where Fender incorrectly advertised guitars as being one thing when they were something else so that I can be upfront and honest when I sell this guitar.

Ummm...

As you may know, Ed Roman has been advertising for sale on his website an unauthorized copy Petrucci guitar and left hand copy Petrucci bodies
. Ed Roman aslo advertised repainted OLP guitars as EBMM axis guitars.

Our opinion is that this was an infringment on the legal rights of Ernie Ball, Inc. and John Petrucci. We contacted Mr. Roman and a settlment has been reached:

1. Ed Roman must remove from his website all references to any and all EBMM products and designs. Ed Roman also cannot say anything at all about Ernie Ball or Music Man, or EBMM guitars or basses on his website, or anywhere on the Internet , or by other public communication. [Ed Roman has already removed the link to the EBMM main page on his website and has taken out the negative references to EBMM on the OLP custom page.]

2. Ed Roman cannot from make or sell any copy EBMM guitars, including copies of the John Petrucci Signature Model;

3. Ed Roman cannot sell new EBMM guitars, and can only sell used trade-ins;

4. Ed Roman must post an apology to EBMM and John Petrucci for making and advertising the copy Petrucci guitars and bodies.

Another famous victory for the EBMM team. Thanks to Blackspy and others for pointing out these issues. We are on top of it and have been working on this problem, among other things.

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-guitars/14045-ed-roman-copy-petrucci-john-petrucci-6-infringement.html

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1199472-Ed-Roman-PWNED-by-EB-MM

Unfortunately, I can't find the news item that was actually published by EBMM, but it's something I know I read and referenced in the past with a link.

My point, though, is if it's only Ed Roman saying that Fender did this and you can find absolutely ZERO other evidence of this, it's more than likely a big fat lie.

FYI, the Jimmy Vaughn Strat WAS at one point poplar, like a lot of other Mexican Fenders at the time, and MIM poplar bodies DO get a veneer.

• Members

Well, all the stuff about Ed Roman, I really like his concepts, but I think a lot of what he says is BS.....for example, he mentioned in one rant I read that 'Indian Rosewood is a mediocre tonewood' well, tell that to about 10000 rock guitarists who swear by it... also, I have a lot of suspicion for a guy that charges $200 just to not put frets on a bass.

• Members

Well, all the stuff about Ed Roman, I really like his concepts, but I think a lot of what he says is BS.....for example, he mentioned in one rant I read that 'Indian Rosewood is a mediocre tonewood' well, tell that to about 10000 rock guitarists who swear by it... also, I have a lot of suspicion for a guy that charges $200 just to not put frets on a bass.

When I do builds I only use Brazilian rosewood. I find that it doesn't cost me much more to do (I re-saw, plain and joint all my own fret boards) and it usually sounds much better (which is subjective) then Indian rosewood.

Trees that grow in different altitudes, temperatures, climates (and continents) will be different. That's why they're not even the same color.

I'm not saying that no Indian rosewood sounds good (I have a D-41 that sounds great) or that all Brazilian rosewood sounds better, but it has been my (and others) experience that a good piece of BR is hard to beat.

I know I have old Martins that are Brazilian and they sound fantastic. Ditto the old Fender and Gibson stuff I have with BR.

Just my 2 cents.

YMMV

• Members

Well, I would love to have a Brazilian Rosewood board neck, but I don't think there is anything at all wrong with Indian Rosewood. In fact, ive seen some really nice looking pieces of IR. And the pieces I saw that were really nice looking, lots of color and figuring, they were expensive like BR.

Archived