Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Years Were the Scam Years for SRV Strats?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Years Were the Scam Years for SRV Strats?

I'm sure most of you remember how Fender lied and said that the SRV Strats had solid alder bodies - of course this was proven to be an outright lie, it was a poplar body with an alder veneer.

Fender later switched over to solid alder.

I have a chance to buy an older SRV reissue for $300 off of some guy who is going to lose his house if he doesn't make a payment by the end of the month (credit card moron) so I want to buy the guitar.

I just want to make sure it's not one of the scam ones.

Thanks for the help!

On most 2-3 tone strats with veneer the belly cut is fully painted dark. Like MIMs. On solid bodied 2-3 tone strats the belly cut is usually only partially dark.

These are not SRV strats but they show how the belly cut is painted. You have to cover that edge if it's a veneer,

Comment

Thanks for the reply and you are correct.

However, for a few years Fender claimed that the SRV Strats were one piece. Then one was cut open and revealed a multi-piece poplar body with an alder veneer.

I am trying to find out what years this happened.

Thanks

Comment

his point is that it doesn't really matter. you can tell if it's a "scam" SRV strat or not based on the finish.
        whoa, maaaaaan.

Comment

his point is that it doesn't really matter. you can tell if it's a "scam" SRV strat or not based on the finish.

He want to know a way to tell if it is a veneer SRV or non-veneer. I have never heard of one with veneer myself.

Comment

He want to know a way to tell if it is a veneer SRV or non-veneer. I have never heard of one with veneer myself.

No, he now knows how to do that (thanks to you =) ). He wants to know the yearsoke:
            "Can somebody give me a hand with all this talent?"

Comment

Yep, it was a huge embarrassment for Fender. Do a google and sometimes you'll read about it.

Ed Roman cut one open and had it up back in maybe '96 or 97. Fender admitted they were doing this and started using solid alder.

Ed doesn't have anything on his site about this but if you google 'srv alder scam' some references from other people come up, but nothing about dates. I forget when it was.

Comment

Hope Ed isn't pulling your chain and everybody elses.
                www.mpdacrylics.com

www.bazoogle.com

Comment

Found nothing about this anywhere except some copies doing this.
                  www.mpdacrylics.com

www.bazoogle.com

Comment

well, regardless if it is or not, I would buy it for $300.... the resale value is easy $800 or more...
                    Originally Posted by VÃ****ctor

..Si te separas, espero que no, avÃ****same podÃ****amos vivir juntos, eso si, sin mariconeo...

Originally Posted by artiem

The truest indicator of one's character is how he acts when there are no consequences.

SPAM: FT/FS

Comment

$300 for an srv?

Buy it. Period.

When did they go to the 2 piece body?
                      --
                      Wagdog
                      Check out Lunar Commander on:
                      iTunes App Store
                      Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                      iTunes App Store
                      Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                      - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

Hope Ed isn't pulling your chain and everybody elses.

No, this was out there many years ago - maybe 1996 and Fender scrambled to come out and apologize.

This site has something about it:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178343&page=3

I'll probably buy the guitar but I plan on selling it so I want to make sure the buyer is clear on what they're getting.

Comment

Probably 96-97 then if that's the info you have. MIAs had venneer up untill the American sreies in 2000.
                          It was a big selling point for Fender when they said they were using soild alder in their American series back in 2000.

Comment

No, this was out there many years ago - maybe 1996 and Fender scrambled to come out and apologize.

This site has something about it:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178343&page=3

I'll probably buy the guitar but I plan on selling it so I want to make sure the buyer is clear on what they're getting.

So, even that site (which might be SeymourDuncan.com, but it's the forum) mentions that Ed Roman did it.

This is what my son has to say about Ed Roman.

Just like when Ed Roman was taking OLPs, refinishing them, putting Gotoh Floyds on them, and putting the MusicMan logo on the headstock.
                            Mazi Bee Militia!
                            JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
                            PpP
                            My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

It was on the internet so it MUST to be TRUE
                              I puked last night after eating a volcano taco and drinking vodka. I felt like a ****************ing dragon.

Comment

Working...
                              X