Installation - Fender Tele Texas Special Pickup Question

Gas Hed

• Members

NEW PICS BELOW! Just installed them on a 4 way switch. I'll post some pics later. I'm wondering if positions 1 (bridge) and 3 (neck) are supposed to be noisy? I went from a 3 way with stock pickups (MIM) and those suckers weren't noisy at all. Just looking for a reference standard here.

Thanks folks.

• Members

So here's the thing - I'm getting major hum in gainy channels position 2 & 4. Clean, I get acceptable, low level hum. Still wondering if this is just a function of these pickups or something wrong with wiring?? Ok, so here are some pics.

Did the wiring diagram per this - the exception being that I tapped the ground wires into the body and bridge shown in pics below. I also didn't ground the jack to tone, but rather volume (does that matter?). Don't have a treble bleed either.

diagram.jpg

I'm wondering if I needed to ground to the body and bridge as shown here:

Wiring.jpg

Wiring2.jpg

Thoughts?

• Members

Did you ground the neck pickup cover? A gound to one of the bridge pickup screws is where I gound my bridge.

Hey DaleH - The neck pickup cover has it's own ground wire (yellow) that I grounded to the body and to the volume pot.

I'm mostly wondering if I needed to tap into all the body and bridge grounds?? The wiring diagram doesn't tell you to do that. Only reason I did is because they were there with the factory pickup electronics set up, so I figured I'd just use them as well.

• Members

it looks like your cavities all have shielding paint, so copper tape isn't going to yield a huge difference, possibly none at all if the paint was done properly. i'm thinking you'll have to live with the hum or get a different set of pups

So now I need recomendations on a quiet/quieter set of pickups.

Archived