NGD: Gibson L6-S Deluxe

stickman393

• Members

A nice find at the Marin County Guitar Fair this weekend: A Gibson L6-S Deluxe:

Gibson_L6-S_Deluxe_001.jpg

It's got a 6-digit serial number beginning with #96____ stamped on the back of the headstock, along with "Made in USA". Apparently this makes it difficult to figure out what year it was made. If anyone has any insight on that I'd love to hear about it. It has to be 1975 - 80 at the latest.

It's in great condition, and although it's a player, it had obviously been sitting in its case for some years before showing up at the fair. I'm currently trying to clean the (original) case to remove any possibility of mold or mildew. The guitar had a slight musty smell that fortunately is going away after a couple of days out in the daylight.

The rosewood fingerboard drank a glass and a half of lemon oil but now feels great.

The action is nice, the neck is great, altogether a nice find. The Bill Lawrence pickups are fat but with lots of treble. I'm not a pickup expert so I don't really know how they compare to others.

The L6-S is an odd beast. It is has a thin maple body reminiscent of the classic Les Paul shape, but with thickness and contouring similar to a classic SG. I confess I've wanted one of these ever since watching this video:

[video=youtube;tI72n1oMSlI]

(That was supposed to start at time 1m 45s into the clip. Sorry about that)

• Members

Mine is a '74, 6 digit starting with 54.

Guitar dater using the same info I used but with 96xxxx says:

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA

approximately in: 1970, 1971 or 1972

You should type in your actual serial number though.

HNGD!

edit: I guess 70-72 must be wrong, I think earliest was 73-74

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

• Members

I am the original owner of a 1975 natural finish all-maple (maple body, maple neck, maple

fingerboard) L6-S with the chrome Bill Lawrence designed pickups, T-O-M bridge, stop

tailpiece, and 24 frets.

Even though it looks a lot like a Les Paul, it does not sound like a Les Paul, nor was it meant

to sound like a Les Paul or any other existing (then) Gibson electric. Instead, it sounds

bright and almost Fender-like. Just this fact was enough alienate a significant portion of

Gibson lovers back in the day and give the L6-S a bad name that it never deserved.

By the way, an L6-S plugged into a Vox ACxx amp is a wonderful combination.

• Members

I used to have one of those, it's one of a very few that I sold off and one that I regret letting go. At the time I let it go because I also had a Les Paul and thought it was redundant, and now I think, "That's no reason to get rid of your oldest Gibson guitar!". They were considered a bit of an oddball 70's design, but I wish now I'd hung onto it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I also have an L6 Deluxe (exactly like the one you bought) which has a serial number beginning in 96. I bought it new in Sept, 1976. I think the Deluxe was first made in 1975, so that should narrow it down for you a bit. I'm not sure that we can determine the exact date. It's probably not worth more now than what I paid for it, but I bought it to play, not as an investment. I find the bridge pick up to treble-y for my ear, but it's still a fine guitar which I play seveal times a week. I adore the thin neck. Wish I still had the Fender Deluxe Reverb I bought the same year.

Archived