John McEuen Interview: Duane and Gregg Allman with the Hour Glass

JasO

• Members

Back in 1985, I interviewed John McEuen of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band about his encounters with Duane and Gregg Allman while they were in the Allman Joys and Hour Glass. It turned out that when the brothers moved to L.A. in 1967, they lived with John in the Dirt Band house in Beachwood Canyon. For the past 25 years, the tape of our interview remained untouched, and I've just transcribed it for the first time for my website. John offers a lot of insights into Gregg and Duane, some happy and some bittersweet. He loved Duane's playing -- especially when he'd toss his Telecaster way up into the air and let it bounce onstage, and when he'd do "The Skate" while playing. He was also chagrined by the hangers-on who kept offering Duane drugs.

In one of my favorite passages, John offered this insight into Duane's personality: "I remember one time at the Atlanta airport I

• Members

Seriously, throw the guy a donation if you enjoy reading this stuff. In my opinion, Jas O is providing a direct link to a part of American History that has passed us and is in danger of being forgotten. This stuff is gold, and even just $5 here and there from a few of us could go a long way towards keeping the website going. Jas is providing us access to these interviews out of his pocket, he's not getting paid to do this.

Archived