1972 Epiphone ES-250 rebuild

bilsky14

• Members

think you can use whatever pup you want.

Bet alot of people will chim in with GFS pup suggestions.

Ive also got an EA250 and considered long and hard about changing the pups. Nothing seemed to match the tone and it sounds sweet so its still packing the originals.

You going to ditch the flimsy trem unit for a trapeze or a Bigsby?

• Members

I am rebuilding a ES-250 and am looking for reccomendations on pup's.

What can and can I not use in the hollow body. I play rock and blues.

Thank's

I have a semihollow and go for Rock and Blues too. I installed a set GFS Mean 90s that are P90 in humbucker size. I was very impressed by these inexpensive pups. They sound wonderful in a semihollow.

Better still, I later bought and installed a set of Pure 90s from BG Pickups. Although a bit more expensive than the GFS, lightyears ahead in tone.

http://www.bg-pups.com/h90.html

They are handwound by Bryan Gunsher and if you contact him, he'll build the pup to fit your needs.

A lot of companies advertise P90 sound from an HB sized pup. IMO, this one gets the closest.

• Members

Here is a pic of the project. I have all of the original electronics and they work. It did not have a bridge when I got it. So I could not play it. Any suggestion on what bridge to use? Well can't seem to upload image. File size is 1.17 mb

• Members

bilsky,

just resize the image.

I dumped the feeble trem unit for a trapeze tailpeice and ended up going with a Gretsch aluminum bridge. The trapeze lowered the action enough to compensate for the high action but the original brisge was too high. The aluminum bridge had better adjustment and just sat lower.

• Members

I have been looking at the Gretch bridges. And you say you like the sound of the original pup's. Again I have not heard them. Other than taps through the amp. But pots do not scratch etc.... What trapeze did you use? I have read quite a bit about the neck shimming and all that needs to be done to get the action down.

• Members

the guy who did the work on my guitar is in Texas. The basic trapeze tailpeice wors fine. Scored mine off ebay for about $16 shipped, same for the aluminum bridge.

The original pups sound great! Maybe try them out before spending cash on new ones. You already have them, why not?

• Members

Think I got the photo thing together. Here she is. I am trying to decide what color I want. I have three red guitars now so I want to do something different. I think I will try the original pups. Doe anyone know where I can get a new headstock logo?

• Members

Very nice! I would not have sanded it down but there were many chips and dings that went to the bare wood. Since I only paid $157.00 for it I figured what the hell. I have refinished 3 other guitars and enjoy doing it. I do have some cherry stain from Stewmac. Still trying to decide.

• Members

My other gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom. CTS pots. Bumble bee cap, Gigson 57 classic neck, Angus Young at the bridge.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom. same deal but Gibson custom shop zebra pups.

Epiphone Les Paul standard Birdseye maple with Seth Lover pups

Washburn HB-35 natural with screamin deamon

Epiphone tele copy with Fender Texas specials and wilkinson bridge.

Old 60's Kay K20t ( garbage pile find) Refinished in satin white. All original except pots and Grover tuners.

Fender Strat with EMG vintage pups.

Jackson Dinky stock

Mesa Boogie DC-2 tube amp

Marshall AVT 50

• Members

Will do. I will give them a shot. The covers are in great shape once cleaned up. This guitar had been sitting for quite a while. I think I am going to go with the heritage cherry finish on it. I refinished a Les Paul with 13 coats of laquer and wet sanded and polished and it looks excellent. I will send pics when complete.

• 2 years later...

Archived